Confession Thread 2.0

Comments

• LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    To be perfectly honest, I don't mind people that make themselves super unique or fancy as endgame. They've earned the right to customize their character by putting in the effort to bash to 100! Even Lait is a bit of a special snowflake as endgame, although the only really physical sign of it is her glowing silver eyes.

Also, extra confession.

- It's painfully obvious to people who my alts are, since I have a nasty habit of using hyphens a lot to indicate a pause in speech. "Yeah -- I think so, too," for example.
    Art by @Phoenecia! Full image available here!
  • You can never truly hide your alts. Trust me, it's impossible.
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    - Deep down, beneath the RP jokes and this heart carved out of years of PK....I really do hate RP.
    -- Clarity, I hate everything I see about RP and the way it makes me feel and my past experience with heavy duty RPers, I guess. I see people getting commented on about their character depth, their writing skills, etc, and I'm over here with my shit writing skills and limited vocabulary and trying to figure out how to be an evil guy without being cliche and how to fit in with the cliques and the poets and authors AND JUST BE ACCEPTED and then I just go back to PKing. I mean, none of you are -probably- like that but I'm too anxious about it to like really get into it and find out. Easier to just afk and pk people. Also for the longest time there were those RP elitist snobs who acted as if making an alias to even sip health was an affront to RP and you should be crucified for it.

- Aetolia combat is one of the coolest things I have ever done in my career of playing games. Going from full full full manual (I mean typing out each attack) vs. some of my RL friends when we were younger, to going to the manual automation of today (which isn't full automation, don't get it twisted kids), and building my systems during those journeys, has been an awesome experience. Sure, I've lost my shit a couple (read: a lot) of times, but mostly, positive experience.

- I've never fully mudsexed.
    -- I mean I was mudsexed at once but I thought we were going to just make out then she grabbed me and I just kinda afk'd until she went away. I was like 12 don't judge me, I'M NOT JUDGING YOU.
    --- I just find the whole thing weird. Plus I know that website. If you don't know that website, you're probably on it.

- There have been a lot of people I started off disliking because of this forum post or that interaction or this shout or that post, but whenever I've 'hung out' with these people by either being on an alt or being in an OOC clan with them, I usually end up liking them. Aiden and Searoth, two players hardly anyone here probably remembers, are good examples of this. Both enemies, started off hating both of them, ended up being my close online pals for a little while. Searoth is actually the reason I even know what a variable is and how to write an if statement.
    -- Daskalos is another example but not as good. The longer I go not talking to the guy the more easy it is for me to dislike him. Even though we've had our disagreements and I've lost my shit at him a couple times I think he's an alright dude.
    --- @Serrice and @Valingar I actually really really hated you guys for the longest time. :(

- I do my absolute best to squash bias about sides and classes when I can.
    -- This doesn't work because sometimes I get caught up in the moment and am pretty biased myself. Hard to listen to a hypocrite.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

XeniaSolariaHavenNola
  • - I will never make a self-aff page because I don't care what you think
    - - Yes I have sunglasses IG with mirrored lenses
    - - - No I won't take them off
    - - - - Yes I wear them at night, too
    - - - - - They're artifacts.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Tenshyo
  • i am weird satomi said so
    SaturnineTenshyo
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Draiman said:

I see people getting commented on about their character depth, their writing skills, etc, and I'm over here with my unicorns writing skills and limited vocabulary and trying to figure out how to be an evil guy without being cliche and how to fit in with the cliques and the poets and authors AND JUST BE ACCEPTED and then I just go back to PKing. I mean, none of you are -probably- like that but I'm too anxious about it to like really get into it and find out. Easier to just afk and pk people. Also for the longest time there were those RP elitist snobs who acted as if making an alias to even sip health was an affront to RP and you should be crucified for it.

None of us are actually like that (that I'm aware of, anyway) :) Many of us have really worked to bury the days of RP elitism. They weren't good for anybody.
    RasharDraimanArbreBenedictoTeani
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I only sip artisnal health potions brewed by monks who have forgotten every other general mini and class skill.
    EmelleDraimanNolaVash
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited July 2016
    Lait said:

- It's painfully obvious to people who my alts are, since I have a nasty habit of using hyphens a lot to indicate a pause in speech. "Yeah -- I think so, too," for example.

I still have no idea who you are/were. I RP'd with someone else who did that yesterday, BUT YOU WERE LOGGED IN, TOO.

/quiet sobbing cluelessly in the corner

Actual confession
    -- Amazingly special snowflakes from reaching endgame irk me if you don't have legit-seeming-to-me RP build-up or Godly influence creating the change.
    -- Especially now that it is so easy to get
    -- Yes I know Zaila isn't.
    -- Since I don't generally know what lead you to the snowflake change, I will always assume its the latter and think the best of you until I find out further.
    -- When I find out it wan't, I will think less of you as a player, but continue to RP with you as if nothing has changed.

-- I really hate doing lessers, because I'm always on my chromebook, and by the time a target has been called, I have typed in their name and had a chance to click the button to attack it, the party is two targets further since.
    AtrapoemaEmelle
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Zaila said:

-- I really hate doing lessers, because I'm always on my chromebook, and by the time a target has been called, I have typed in their name and had a chance to click the button to attack it, the party is two targets further since.

You can create a trigger to automatically switch target when someone calls a new one, and write a keybind (like ctrl+s or f1) to attack that target. It's a dozen times faster than manually typing in the name and clicking a button on your screen!
    edited July 2016
    Lait said:

You can create a trigger to automatically switch target when someone calls a new one, and write a keybind (like ctrl+s or f1) to attack that target. It's a dozen times faster than manually typing in the name and clicking a button on your screen!

Not only do I not know how to do that, but samsung chromebooks don't have f keys: the one big flaw of them. This also means that when you want to click any of the set-up buttons (like attack), and hover your cursor over the button for quick-clicking-action, the unnecessarily large pop-up box telling me that this is a button I can edit blocks a good portion of the text scrolling in, so if I DO manage to actually hit the target, I generally miss seeing it, and have to just randomly keep clicking, because I also miss seeing that I restored balance.

If you wanna give me the "how to", I will gladly copy/paste it into webclient's system, though!
  • Zaila said:

Not only do I not know how to do that, but samsung chromebooks don't have f keys: the one big flaw of them. I mean, if you wanna give me the "how to", I will gladly copy/paste it into webclient's system, though!

Well, that's a problem. Normally I'd say get a client with better functionality, but you bought a Chromebook, so you're pretty much out of options from the start.

You might be best served by going to this thread and asking how to set up a basic alias and trigger in the webclient, because I have never used it and have no idea how it works.
    Zaila
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Draiman said:

- Deep down, beneath the RP jokes and this heart carved out of years of PK....I really do hate RP.
    -- Clarity, I hate everything I see about RP and the way it makes me feel and my past experience with heavy duty RPers, I guess. I see people getting commented on about their character depth, their writing skills, etc, and I'm over here with my unicorns writing skills and limited vocabulary and trying to figure out how to be an evil guy without being cliche and how to fit in with the cliques and the poets and authors AND JUST BE ACCEPTED and then I just go back to PKing. I mean, none of you are -probably- like that but I'm too anxious about it to like really get into it and find out. Easier to just afk and pk people. Also for the longest time there were those RP elitist snobs who acted as if making an alias to even sip health was an affront to RP and you should be crucified for it.

I RP and you know I'm anything but an elite. I'm an absolute scrub, bro.

Come, RP with me. We can be scrubs together.
    ZailaEmelleDraiman
    Benedicto said:

Says the man an admin went out of their way to singularly compliment on their RP skillz.

RP WITH ME, INSTEAD(too). I promise to constantly typo and unicorns up my grammar without even trying.
  • - To me, endgame being so ridiculously easy to get (18/19 year olds with endgame, what the) makes it feel almost detrimental to the game's atmosphere and RP, considering it seems there are so few people actively RPing the base races. It is what it is, and I don't think it needs to change, but it's kind of a blow to the game, in my opinion.
    EmelleBenedictoMadeladeArbreSaturnineTeaniAkaryuterraPilar
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Atrapoema said:

- To me, endgame being so ridiculously easy to get (18/19 year olds with endgame, what the) makes it feel almost detrimental to the game's atmosphere and RP, considering it seems there are so few people actively RPing the base races. It is what it is, and I don't think it needs to change, but it's kind of a blow to the game, in my opinion.

Well, the biggest problem with remaining as one of the base races is that you're giving up important endgame skills, like the curing and health/mana shifting and 10% audit. Mechanics always trump RP, and at the very, absolute least, renew/erase/reconstitute is absolutely 100% vital to being able to PK.

Not to mention you're sort of forced to become a Tekal at 99, so even if you wanted to hit 100 without turning into one, tough luck. You can't disable XP gain, either, so if you're an active basher/PKer, you're going to hit it eventually. Fortunately, there's an iron coin artifact that lets you disguise yourself as a certain race, so there's always that if you're really desperate for RPing a more mundane character.

Also remember that time is slowed by 1/4 now, so it's 48 real days to turn 19 instead of 12, so reaching endgame in that time is absolutely viable (especially with chalice+mint and places like the Shattered Vortex where you can bash nonstop.) We also have newbies coming in with ages ranging from 18-30, and you can set your age with an artifact, so what age you are is really not that big of a deal anymore.
  • Oh, I know, which is why I don't think anything needs to changed, it's just a shame.
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    I think the crux of @Atrapoema's post is that, for many of us, reaching endgame was a crucial moment of character development for characters with seasoned histories. I don't mean to paint all young characters as uninteresting (they're not), just to say that it simply isn't possible for an eighteen or nineteen year old character to have the same level of richness that older characters with more history do. In my opinion, mechanics shouldn't always trump RP in a RP-enforced game such as ours, but I realize that's not the reality we live in.
    AtrapoemaNolaSaturnineTeani
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Benedicto said:

Aren't you the only one of us with a nobility title irl? Also Drai, I find it super hard to be evil here. We've all killed 1000's of creatures and warriors in this game, we've all died countless times, most of us are demi-god beings, and it's very very very hard to do anyone would view as evil. I used to work really hard at it and I think it's still only evil lite
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    My last endgame character got it when he was... 21-ish? This was before the time change.

@Zaila Some of the endgame people change their appearance based upon their personality. It used to be just Tekal was a creepy Slenderman and Azudim/Yeleni were like dragons or some shit. My appearance is based on the consequences of my Tekal transformation. Tekal appearance was based on Coryn's previous dedication to a certain god and his class.

Oh, right, confessions

-The reason why I do characters that are more comedic than serious is because when I first played Aetolia, all of my characters were pretty srsbsns.
    Buford said:

- I scream internally every time I typo while RPing with somebody for fear of them judging for it.

These make me feel better. I fuck up emotes a lot, and seeing what I view as 'the pros' do it makes me more comfortable to emote.
    Haven
  • Emelle said:

In my opinion, mechanics shouldn't always trump RP in a RP-enforced game such as ours, but I realize that's not the reality we live in.

Aetolia might be a game where RP is encouraged, but it's not an RPI. Combat and game mechanics are always going to be more important than RP because it makes the game more -fun-. That isn't to say that you shouldn't roleplay things that are already controlled by mechanics -- RP fights can be fun, for example, and you should most certainly RP your transition to endgame (like I did with @Shachalai and @Damariel.)

But if you want to RP a character that isn't an endgame race, you can pay iron coins for the race disguise artifact, and RP yourself as being that race. If you don't want to do that, you're going to have to learn to accept that you're not going to get access to endgame mechanics, and that you're going to end up at a disadvantage compared to other people that are. You're not going to have a haven, you're not going to have extra stats/raceskills, you're going to purposefully gimp yourself and become non-viable for the sake of something that's not really that important in the long run.
    Lait said:

Emelle said:

In my opinion, mechanics shouldn't always trump RP in a RP-enforced game such as ours, but I realize that's not the reality we live in.

But if you want to RP a character that isn't an endgame race, you can pay iron coins for the race disguise artifact, and RP yourself as being that race. If you don't want to do that, you're going to have to learn to accept that you're not going to get access to endgame mechanics, and that you're going to end up at a disadvantage compared to other people that are. You're not going to have a haven, you're not going to have extra stats/raceskills, you're going to purposefully gimp yourself and become non-viable for the sake of something that's not really that important in the long run.
    That's more or less why they switched from stats being bound to your race to it being your statpack. Would be nice if it carried over to endgame, because not everyone wants to be choice 1, 2, or 3 but they also don't want to chose sides between lore and mechanics. Then again I'm an undead yeleni with no racial ties selected because the one that I want isn't the one that makes sense, and ideally I'd never have it in my description anyhow.
    Akaryuterra
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Jensen said:
    I RP and you know I'm anything but an elite. I'm an absolute scrub, bro. Come, RP with me. We can be scrubs together.
    Aren't you the only one of us with a nobility title irl? Also Drai, I find it super hard to be evil here. We've all killed 1000's of creatures and warriors in this game, we've all died countless times, most of us are demi-god beings, and it's very very very hard to do anyone would view as evil. I used to work really hard at it and I think it's still only evil lite
    I'm on the fence with this but leaning towards agreeing with you because I think it ultimately comes down to what your victims allow you to do to them and the reach of your reputation. Very few people in the game, in my experiences, are willing to play the role of the loser for very long if at all.

You're one of the people I wish I had an opportunity to RP a conflict with while I stilled played because I thought your character had a solid premise to really do something with conflict wise. Nevertheless I wouldn't have ever categorized @Jensen as "evil lite" personally. I can't say I ever knew a whole lot about the character Jensen but from what I do remember when I still played was that he was a Yeleni Vampire cannibal chef or something that lurked in the north. I would occasionally hear little tidbits of the "horrors" committed in Spines prison or in general up north but I definitely got the idea that Jensen was evil. I don't remember if it was @Aarbrok or @Ingram or someone else I was stalking at the time Haven was briefly interested in Spinesreach that mentioned a kid went missing and likely ended up in Jensen stew or something. Unfortunately, if anything, those horrors or crimes many Lighters would consider evil were often out of sight or far away and therefor not as "pressing" since it didn't affect much of the every day life of Lighter players in the south. I wish I got the chance to bring the crusade north because you were definitely on my list of people to eventually RPK with or at least try.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    JensenNola
  • Jensen said:

That's more or less why they switched from stats being bound to your race to it being your statpack. Would be nice if it carried over to endgame, because not everyone wants to be choice 1, 2, or 3 but they also don't want to chose sides between lore and mechanics. Then again I'm an undead yeleni with no racial ties selected because the one that I want isn't the one that makes sense, and ideally I'd never have it in my description anyhow.

For only eighty iron coins, you can get an artifact that lets you assume any race you want for RP purposes, which, frankly, is a lot better than what other IRE games can offer you.
    I was set up really well in Spinesreach; I had city and guild authority to almost do what ever I wanted, at the time I had a pretty good pvp background, I had a lot of people willing to RP with me both as a winner and loser (people who can RP loss are really the best ever), and I also had this huge prison complex to play in. I built rooms, oversaw small groups, had in guild rp feuds, rp'd the entire prison (alone or otherwise), and just slowly portrayed my descent into madness. I also always wanted to RP with you @haven and eventually pushed the idea to have @ingram forge a letter from you to Duiran. Sadly I think that's as close as we ever got. Was always super jealous of your stuff with @Ezalor.
    Haven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Jensen said:

I was set up really well in Spinesreach; I had city and guild authority to almost do what ever I wanted, at the time I had a pretty good pvp background, I had a lot of people willing to RP with me both as a winner and loser (people who can RP loss are really the best ever), and I also had this huge prison complex to play in. I built rooms, oversaw small groups, had in guild rp feuds, rp'd the entire prison (alone or otherwise), and just slowly portrayed my descent into madness. I also always wanted to RP with you @haven and eventually pushed the idea to have @ingram forge a letter from you to Duiran. Sadly I think that's as close as we ever got. Was always super jealous of your stuff with @Ezalor.

Bahahaha! Great times. When that letter came out, I absolutely loved how my character's rep was being used against him. Initially, few people believed that Haven was even innocent! So much flak. Oh man. Too bad I never knew that there was an invisible hand ushering Ingram around in that endeavor. Would've guaranteed a visit!
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    ZailaJensen
    Lait said:

Jensen said:

For only eighty iron coins, you can get an artifact that lets you assume any race you want for RP purposes, which, frankly, is a lot better than what other IRE games can offer you.
    Still means you likely have to pay real money for something that ultimately only allows you to RP the way you intended without tying your arm behind your back mechanically
  • Jensen said:

Still means you likely have to pay real money for something that ultimately only allows you to RP the way you intended without tying your arm behind your back mechanically

Well, you don't have to RP as one of the starter races. The option of purchasing the artifact is there if you want to. Besides, it's less than $40 worth of iron coins -- not that big of a purchase, compared to the $70 of no-brainer credits and lessons it takes to tri-trans your guild skills (which is something that is also pretty necessary mechanically.)
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Hrm!

- I started out fully intending to cling to the PK aspect of the game, and nothing more, as that was the environment of the previous mud I came from.
    - Once I realized that roleplaying was basically the equivalent to writing a miniature story, I was hooked.
    - I used to have terrible, terrible rage in regards to PK. Little Sentinel me was often referred to as 'Trager the Rager'.
    - Rashar and Trager become brothers based on nothing more than an hour hanging out and BSing in a web. Best decision ever.
    - Mudsex was fun when I was a teenager. It hasn't happened in a long while, but now all I do is throw out some quick emotes and go back to Netflix/Coding.
    - I both hate and appreciate the admin-enforced guidance in regards to guild/house advancement. While it can and has been taken way beyond anything reasonable, I hate that 5-6 day old fully embraced/Knighted newbies walk around.
    - I've tried alting a few times but they end in me lacking a tangible path for them to follow. I've RP'd as Trager for so long that anything other than a rumbling, egotistical, he-man just feels so weird.
    - I used to really.. despise(? - may be too strong a word) people that just hung out with a buddy in a haven/apartment all day just emoting/mudsexing. I eventually came to terms with the fact that not everyone plays, nor should be expected to play, the same Aetolia I do.
    - I'm really enjoying this adventure into shadow side.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

EmellePilar
  • -I made Faerah as an escape from Achaea, because @Toz told me it was better.
    --He made an alt to play with me.
    ---He ditched that alt and left me alone to my own devices. (Jerk).

-Faerah was supposed to be bubbly and fun (and was for some time) because I was trying to avoid leadership positions and figured if she was an airhead people wouldn't expect much of her.
    --It didn't work.
    ---Before I knew it she was HoN. Eventually GM for like 2 RL years.

-To be GM I had to rehaul the entire character because I thought the Syssin needed a 'no nonsense' type person to balance all the really large and in charge personalities within the Guild.
    --I sometimes wish I had stayed the course and not done the GM thing in Aetolia. It's a lot of work and it fundamentally changed a character I had very much fun playing into a character that I love dearly, but that felt a lot more like a hollow shell a lot of the times.
    ---Being GM was really isolating and RP opportunities tended to be cut short by the fact that Faerah's a very frigid, no nonsense type of person whose opinion of "outsiders" is quite low.

-That said, I like being GM (and have led IRE House/Guilds for a combined 10 RL years), but would never be CL. The small group dynamic works for me, but there's a point where I stop caring about other people's drama.
    --I have a super power of just ignoring people who I don't like until they give up trying to engage me. I just sincerely do not care about those people, and when I don't care about them I don't feel the need to pay them any attention.
    ---I've used that super power probably more liberally than I should've.
    ----Once I've decided someone's on that list, it's pretty hard for them to get off of it.

-I like alting, because getting a break from how intense Faerah is feels like a vacation. I typically play brighter characters with a lot of energy and soul in them.
    --Sometimes I cringe when Faerah says or does something because I think "wow, you're a unicornsing bitch, Fae," in my head.
    ---Despite that, when alting I seem to care a lot less about how my character is perceived than I do with Faerah. I take Faerah too personally sometimes.
    HavenEmelleZaila