Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• Nola said:
    I guess this is more like a requested change than an idea, but..

Can Certimene -not- induct people who are over 100 in both age AND level, who don't even so much as speak to a member of the guild?

Yeah, I'm not so fussed about the oldbies but the fact that a very active, post level 100 character can just go to Certimene and get inducted if they so wish just doesn't seem entirely appropriate. In my experience with the Ascendril, everyone's talked to Cia and/or Xavin anyway, but I'm really not seeing why it should be mechanically possible for someone that experienced to simply bypass any player contact whatsoever.
    Nola
  • Thats my problem with it right there. 
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I think a restriction on Certimene would be okay only if they added NPC class dispensers. Until then I think Certimene is fine as is in regards to recruitment.

Sometimes the guild leadership just plain sucks or is unreasonable. It's good that there is an alternative to getting your foot in the door for a variety of reasons.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Or if guild leadership is unresponsive/unavailable, etc. Is there a common courtesy with speaking to people prior to joining a guild? Yes. If people who really should know better aren't doing this, there's nothing stopping you from a) putting expectations in your HELP GUILDNOVICES GUILDNAME which is publicly visible/accessible, b.) saying "You know better, or should, we'll have our eye on you and be adding an additional, reasonable requirement to your progression as is dictated by your transgression (if you're a notorious guildhopper, vs some olbie coming back to try the game again and the char happens to be old), etc.
    Haven
    Areka said:

Or if guild leadership is unresponsive/unavailable, etc. Is there a common courtesy with speaking to people prior to joining a guild? Yes. If people who really should know better aren't doing this, there's nothing stopping you from a) putting expectations in your HELP GUILDNOVICES GUILDNAME which is publicly visible/accessible, b.) saying "You know better, or should, we'll have our eye on you and be adding an additional, reasonable requirement to your progression as is dictated by your transgression (if you're a notorious guildhopper, vs some olbie coming back to try the game again and the char happens to be old), etc.

Get out of my head woman!
    havenbanner2
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I... really don't get where the inherent distrust is coming from? What's the issue? Last time I was running the Syssin, we had a few inductees from Certimene who were Big Characters. It worked out just fine, except for one who thought he was being cute, so I threw him out.

Is this really something we care about?
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    I'm not totally against it.

I dislike when they say things like 'I went to Certimene because last time, your leadership was difficult.'

I'm not the old GM. I would have even been happier with a little message. I didn't kick him out, but I can think of a few people who -would- have gotten a boot if they circumvented that way.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • A config option for the language filter on forums.

Reason: It would make my life easier. Each time I read a sentence with a unicorn in it, I tend to read it thrice to figure out what the word behind it is.. or I quote. One way or another I'm only happy when I know what people really said (yeah yeah, curiosity killed the cat), the unicorn thing just confuses me.

So.. an option to config it on or off. If you're logged out it's automatically on and cannot be changed. If you're logged in it's on by default but you can turn it off.

Pretty please? :/

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Daingean said:
    I'm not totally against it.

I dislike when they say things like 'I went to Certimene because last time, your leadership was difficult.'

I'm not the old GM. I would have even been happier with a little message. I didn't kick him out, but I can think of a few people who -would- have gotten a boot if they circumvented that way.
    You can't go through Certimene again if she's already inducted you once before.
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Certimene is indeed a one-off thing. I remember that someone told me when I left the Sents briefly awhile back that I could just go to Certimene to join the Syssin, but I decided not to do that as it would've likely been improper.
    It would be cool if we had at least another referendum option or two. Some ideas:

- A vote-weight stripped referendum for straight headcounts
    - A weighted referendum based on ranks (clan ranks (have vote weight be a new investable clan power), guild/city ranks, perhaps extra weight given to council members, etc)
    - Multiple choice referendums (pick 3 from the following)
    - Write in choices? This could be a great way for leaders to anonymously get feedback and ideas, but might be a nightmare to code and/or display the results of.
    PiperInfin
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Moirean said:
    You can't go through Certimene again if she's already inducted you once before.
    Poor old Certimene is still a bloke.

Calipso
  • Ease-of-use idea: Short names for projects.

So instead of typing

PROJECT 2094867695940385767694590340238587

you get to type

PROJECT SPINESREACH FAVOURS

or 

PROJECT SYSSIN SHOP

or whatever.

Much, much easier to remember than those darn numbers. The short name could be assigned by the project leader to any given project. Will need to be unique for its organisation projects for obvious reasons.

MoireanArbreIllikaalPiperEmellePerilunaSaybre
  • Certimene's fine.

Say I (Ezrax) join the Daru through Certimene. I'd get my ass thrown out so fast my head would spin, and I'd deserve it. The option is still there.

However, if I approached a Daru leader and pleaded my change of heart and why I now love all things squishy and glow-y despite having been a creature of the night for two centuries, and the leader acknowledged it, I'd not get thrown out (though they'd probably watch me carefully for a time).

HavenErzsebet
    The AB one is sooo frustrating. I swear I've already idea'd it, but I don't see it in the list. I definitely wish we could look over our skills when in a different class, especially when I'm going over a specific syntax with a novice. It's the whole reason I ended up just making GHELPs with all of the Carnifex ABs. >_>
    CalipsoTzaEsper
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited March 2013
    Artifact Dhurive. Mechanically identical to regular dhurives, but nondecay and customizable. 40cr. Using the artifact tablets that Bloodborn can get as a precident.
    Kiyotan
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Agree, but it should be 100cr like the arti shaman quarterstaves and mage staves.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    AngweXavinCalipsoAarbrok
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Maybe you could have it work from a customization certificate too? That might be good. 

Mmkay, I had a few things for input as the unofficial beta tester for the rapier: 

1. Raz said there was supposed to be rubble in the Arena, but there isn't :/ Plz to be fixing. It'd def help with the people who like to bounce back and forth between the rooms to buy themselves self-destruct time. 

2. When you kill someone, their corpse gets left in the arena and you can't retrieve it as you are instantly teleported out upon victory/defeat. 

3. The bloodlust affliction is great, but it would be nice if it also prevented the spam of blackwind/lightform. Unless, you left that in there intentionally since the WP drain is heavy as hell, and they'd likely kill themselves from spamming it.

4. I don't mind that some targets decide to kill themselves, but it would be nice if the duelist got some sort of simple reward (experience) for the target that decides to kill him/herself. Or perhaps, even an alternative global-wide message for it. 

5. Its cool that there's a global humiliation message when the person decides to surrender, but honestly, I -personally- would just go ahead and hit the surrender button if I didn't feel like fighting someone had they used it on me. It would be nice if the cooldown was drastically lowered if someone surrendered. Or even perhaps the surrendering person is killed off as well as showing the global message, without granting exp to the duelist. 

6. Alternatively, surrendering instantly could leave them alive, but they would have an affliction called Curse of the Craven (Craven_curse for teh aff view) that does something pretty nifty to them, like disallowing them to re-enter their city/haven if they have a bounty, or something. It wouldn't last very long, something like 10 minutes or so. Or, it could just become a movement speed debuff, removing their ability to gallop/sprint, and cause every room that they move through behave as if they were afflicted with gravity/rubble/overgrowth hinder. 

Other than that, the concept is pretty solid, and it's nice that it doesn't PK the game anymore >_>
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Number 1 would make it kind of pointless to attempt to fight any shaman in there :P Numbers 5 and 6 would require the rapier to stop working at foci.

• edited March 2013
    Permanent rubble/movement hindering WAS intended originally, but I ended up deciding that this would make fighting as or against certain classes a little too ridiculous (as a sentinel, or against an indorani for example). I think the two room capacity of the arena has been more than adequate in containing fights so far.

The point of the rapier was to allow its user to turn large scale conflicts into a one-on-one scenario. Overall, I think it's been more than effective in doing its job so far. I agree that there could be a slightly bigger consequence to surrendering.

We'll see.
  • Dhar said:
    I agree that there could be a slightly bigger consequence to surrendering.
    I'd be wary of that, the fact that the rapier fights are entirely opt-in is what makes the concept work.

With the permanent disabling of the War System, can the War Ministers gain the ability to promote/demote militia members as they see fit? :(
    havenbanner2
    ErzsebetArbreAngweLunaAarbrokInfinSaybre
  • edited March 2013
    Dhar said:
    Permanent rubble/movement hindering WAS intended originally, but I ended up deciding that this would make fighting as or against certain classes a little too ridiculous (as a sentinel, or against an indorani for example). I think the two room capacity of the arena has been more than adequate in containing fights so far.

The point of the rapier was to allow its user to turn large scale conflicts into a one-on-one scenario. Overall, I think it's been more than effective in doing its job so far. I agree that there could be a slightly bigger consequence to surrendering.

We'll see.
    No please. It is already a troll mechanic and is being used infact -not- for its intention (pulling a ylem extractor out of their group just to sever the connection..?). If anything I would rather people not -have- to entertain someone with the rapier arena (which btw only functions for 1 person so I really dont see the need for it to have coder focus) rather than simply surrendering if they dont wish to participate.
    edited March 2013
    Ilyon said:
    Number 1 would make it kind of pointless to attempt to fight any shaman in there :P Numbers 5 and 6 would require the rapier to stop working at foci.
    Shamans already have their own version of rubble, good sir. 

Also, -every- shaman affliction is curable via practical methods. Leaving the room is just an option, unlike biles/seduction/temptation. I handle Shaman affs via regular curing methods without ever having to leave the room just fine. I also don't see why 5 and 6 would make it unusable at foci when it has a 3 hour long cooldown on it. 

Edit: @Dhar Yes, I got that point entirely. The thing is though, people (including myself should it ever get used against me) can and will just instantaneously surrender, and shrug off the global humiliation message. The rapier still goes on cooldown for 3 hours after that. Purpose: Defeated. 

@Calipso. You so silly. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    @Calipso - Did you just tell the person who designed the artifact that it's not being used the way it was intended? I'm pretty sure if something works a certain way, and has been used as many times as the rapier has, that it's working as intended.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Rivas
  • Daskalos said:
    @Calipso - Did you just tell the person who designed the artifact that it's not being used the way it was intended? I'm pretty sure if something works a certain way, and has been used as many times as the rapier has, that it's working as intended.
    makes sense.

That's sarcasm again.
    DharAldricCalipsoHaven
    MFW those gas prices were less than $2 a gallon D:
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Dude, in Canada we're at like $1.30 per litre. That's $5.20 per gallon for you US folks. You guys still have it good!