Of Swords and Infernals

In which Sevarius expresses his undying love for all things sword, gets taken on a shopping spree by @Xenia , and receives an impromptu introduction and lesson in history from @Luna . Also he discovers that he would apparently have made a better Infernal than a Carnifex. Poor guy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Xenia guides you through the caves once more, stepping out now into a heavily ocean air and a blast of warmth as the two of you enter a port city. "Eh, we don't eschew them so much as well--" her shoulders rise in a shrug, "Guess I'm partial to the polearms myself. Grants reach, can skewer an opponent into the ground, wrench their insides and then there's the beautiful warhammer. Heavy, bludgeons that we use to batter and smash the limbs of those we fight. Personally--" she holds out a Carnifex's skewering bardiche, "I've always thought there was something more graceful about one of these. However, there's nothing wrong with a sword, there are plenty of Carnifex who like them."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says, "I guess long story short, I fought with my fists and when I was
introduced to weapons, it was the ones the Carnifex trained in, can say it was love at first sight
for me."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra asks you, "Shall we press on?"

Sevarius runs his fingers slowly through the inky locks of his hair, taking the
time to give his new environs a swift, appraising glance. Finding nothing immediately threatening,
he turns his attention back to Xenia ,expression intent. "I must admit that the polearms are a decent substitute for the sword, in my case. There is a certain grace to them, particularly the glaive." He spreads his arms wide, palms upward, a hint of joy colouring his voice as he speaks. "Ah, but the sword! I have loved it since I had the capacity to do so. Elegance, form and function. Simplicity and beauty, all rolled into one. I could write poems and wax poetic about swords, Commander." Eyes shining with enthusiasm, he turns a brilliant smile to Xenia and nods. "Of course, Commander. Lead on, if you please."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says, "The guildmaster of the Templars tends to forge some good stuff, and they use swords so perhaps we'll find something there to your liking."

--We go to Areka’s shop of weaponly goodies

You say, "Oddly, I was asked if I was a Templar earlier."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says to you, "Mmm, well, you're still a Recruit, can't expect you to exude Carnifex ideals just yet, eh?"

Xenia guides you through into the shop, making a line straight for the racks of swords on display. "Well, lots to choose from," she notes, "longswords, shortswords, bastards swords, broadswords...." she continues on in something of a dry tone, listing each type with a nod and pointed finger.

Sevarius strides over to a stand that holds quite the array of weaponry, armoured hand immediately seeking out a midnight-hued broadsword. Fingers curling about the weapons' grip, he hefts it and turns to show Xenia. "A close cousin to what I desire, Commander. Black, yet too colourful, and too short. The bird theme is a bit...Much, admittely, as well. Not a terrible weapon, however." He returns the item to its place and peruses the selection. "Mm. Yes, well. Perhaps that will come with time. I am curious, Commander. What appeals to you, here?" He gestures with a broad sweep of his hand across the shop.

Xenia considers the display or warhammers and polearms, pausing as she comes across a bardiche with a heft made of dogwood. "I suppose if I wasn't going to pick one that was forged by the Carnifex, it'd be this one. In fact when I was still a Recruit myself, I sent this design to Areka."

Sevarius steps to stand besides Xenia, though he maintains a respectful distance as he inspects the bardiche. "Truly? Fascinating. Have you designed many items, Commander?"

Xenia nods slightly at you, "This bardiche I wield, this was my design as well. A subtle nod to the Infernals before us," she explains.

Xenia displays a Carnifex's skewering bardiche for all to see:
Its silhouette vaguely reminiscent of a perched hawk, this bardiche's blade is narrow with a spaying hook halfway along its length on its sharpened edge, and a triangular protrusion one-third of the way up the back edge. The hook and protrusion mimic the sharp, deadly curved beak and tail. Extending in a straight line along the blunted edge is a single sharpened point, making its purpose as a skewering weapon clear. Ash wood has been used as the pole and, though sanded down to smooth the bark, knots and irregular twists still remain in the wood lending to its untamed look. The staff has been stained and finished a dark brown, the words "Fealty, Soul, and Slaughter" burned into the base.

Sevarius turns his slate-grey gaze to take in the indicated bardiche, eyes carefully travelling the length of the weapon and noting the craftmanship and details. "It is a fine weapon, Commander, though admittedly not to my own personal tastes. How do the Carnifex differ from the Infernals of the past?"

Xenia ticks her head upward in thought, "In a number of ways, practice of skill, but most importantly, we've cast aside their ideals towards honor and chivalry as they are little more than shackles that prevent one from doing what is sometimes needed to forge personal strength."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says to you, "You know what, there's a woman I know, she forges good weapons and is known to be something of a sword enthusiast as well. She can likely make you something, if not point you towards an optimal weapon."

Sevarius listens to this quietly, hands shifting to clasp behind the small of his back as he lowers his gaze in thought, eyes thinning minutely. His features are set into a serious cast as he takes in Xenia's words, a slight frown marring his typically smooth brow. "I see. So it is...Unsavoury for a Carnifex to comport themselves with honour and chivalry?"
You say to Xenia, "I am ever in favour of meeting a fellow enthusiast of the sword, Commander. Perhaps she can forge one of these designs for me that has caught my eye, or, as you say, point me to something more fitting."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says to you, "She likely can't forge one of these designs, but she may have one of her own that would catch your eye."

You say to Xenia, "If not, I can simply return here and see about the availability of one of these. What is this fellow enthusiast's name, if I may ask?"

"As for chivalry and honor, so long as such notions do not impede in your ability to slaughter, then--" Xenia shrugs her shoulders, "it is a choice of the moment, I would say."

Xenia Seirath-Tash'Vetra says to you, "She is a woman by the name of Luna, we are going to meet her now."

A weight seeming to lift from his shoulders, Sevarius favours Xenia with a slight smile, inclining his head at her appreciatively. "That is good to hear, Commander, thank you. Luna, you say? A fine name."

--We go to Spines

Xenia glances through the halls of the citadel, "I don't know much about her, but she was once a Carnifex," she offers you, "and from what I have seen, continues to practice our skills as such."

Luna enters from the southeast, riding a crimson-maned manticore.

Luna gracefully hops off of a crimson-maned manticore.

Sevarius lifts his brows at Xenia in mild surprise, uttering a soft, "Really?" before he turns his attention to Luna's arrival, inclining his head politely and offering her a faint smile.

"Speaking of," Xenia continues on, spotting Luna. "Recruit, this is Miss Olahri, I believe she can offer you more advice and assistance than I when it comes to finding a well crafted sword." With that she offers Luna a small nod in greeting.

Spotting Xenia by the gate, Luna hops off her mount and snaps a cursory salute. "Senator," she greets. "And this must be your new recruit."

Luna turns towards you and offers you a curt nod.

Smile warming considerably, Sevarius raises a hand in greeting to Luna. "Ah, hello there, Miss Olahri! I have been informed that you are a fellow enthusiast of the sword. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Sevarius comes to attention momentarily, booted heels clicking together as he executes a smart, crisp salute. "Recruit Sevarius, at your service."

"An enthusiast?" Luna fixes you with a level stare, licks her lips and shakes her head. "I think, recruit, that you have the wrong impression. My interest in swordsmanship is practical, not passionate."

Xenia continues to idly watch the formalities passing, "That would be my mistake then," interjects with a brief nod towards Luna, "I had said you were an enthusiast, though the correction is noted. Practical--" she continues to nod her head, "I'll keep that in mind."

Sevarius allows himself to return to a more relaxed posture, the warmth fleeing from his features at Luna's words. Features schooled into a state of composure, he arches a brow cooly. "Oh? Pray do forgive me, then. I shall curb my own enthusiasm, then, lest it be unbecoming in your presence."

Luna Olahri says, "My position is that the forms should be maintained. The Keep's teachings can be very inflexible and quite doctrinaire, and have been for a long time."

"Of course, no longer being a knight of the Keep, this is strictly speaking not my concern any longer," Luna adds, according Xenia a deep nod.

Luna pulls a savage, two-handed Spirean bastard sword from her weaponbelt fluidly.
Luna starts to wield a savage, two-handed Spirean bastard sword in her hands.

Luna tosses a savage, two-handed Spirean bastard sword to you, and you catch it nimbly.

Xenia does not seem to take the comment as slight nor offense, "Mmm, I can see the merits in ones ability to master most if not all forms of weaponry," she notes thoughtfully.

Sevarius catches the thrown weapon instinctively, hand snapping out to reflexively curl his fingers tightly about the blade, wrist turning to allow the weapon's momentum to carry it down and upwards in a smooth circle. He lets out a faint noise of appreciation as he holds the blade out in order to study it, slate-grey eyes roving up and down the length of the bastard sword appreciatively.

"Precisely," Luna agrees, lips curling into a small smile. "The Spirean military has always emphasized progression in terms of skills, tactics, and operational knowledge. While the intense study of polearm-based combat forms have certainly yielded much for the Keep, it would be folly to deny the potential gains from mastery of a wider variety of weaponry."

Sevarius dips his head in agreement, though he does not actually look Xenia's way. "Agreed. The more you come to know a weapon and the way it is utilised, the better you can defend against it and formulate strategies in a fight against one who wields such." He gives the blade an experimental swing, following through to a series of simple, yet elegant forms. Coming to a rest, he rests the tip of the weapon upon the ground lightly, finally returning his attention to Luna. "A pleasant weapon to wield. Quicker than I would have expected, for its size."

"You are in good hands--" Xenia glances towards Luna with a dim nod, "learn what you can, do not waste her time," she sternly addresses you. "For now, though, I must take my leave, is this fine with you?" she asks, directing the words now towards Luna.

Sevarius shifts his grip on the weapon so that he holds it with his left hand, freeing his right to perform a quick salute at Xenia. "Of course, Commander. Thank you for your time."

Luna shifts into a more defensive stance while pulling out a replacement weapon of her own. "When the Carnifex were not Carnifex but rather Infernal knights, many would employ greatswords of the kind you wield now in battle," she relates to you. "They were known to pursue nimbleness and speed in their forms, even when deployed to battle as heavy infantry." Glancing over to Xenia, she dips her head once again in a respectful gesture.

Xenia inclines her head politely to those around her.

Sevarius lowers his hand to once more grip the borrowed weapon's hilt, hefting the weapon aloft and spinning it so that is faces blade-heavenward. His gaze is sharp as he focused upon Luna, stance settling into a balanced, adaptable posture. "In a way, I think that I regret the fading of the Infernals. They sound like a fine organisation. Were you one in the past?"

"The Infernals failed," Luna replies harshly. "And there is a lesson to be taught there, young recruit. While I- and others- may make a point of maintaining their legacy in the terms of sword forms, there are none- save for the enemies of the Keep- who would want the order of Infernal knights back in its old form. Regardless of what you may learn here today, you cannot allow yourself to slip into vain romanticising of the past."

Sevarius's eyes thin somewhat at this, countenance hardening as he tightens his jaw. After a few heartbeats pass, however, he schools his features into a mask of impassivity, his tone smooth as he responds, "Duly noted, then, Miss Olahri. In what manner, precisely, did they fail? I admit to great ignorance of the Infernals beyond hearing vague stories as a child."

"A good question," Luna acknowledges. "And one that does not have a simple answer. The Infernals did not disappear so much as change irrevocably and radically from the old incarnations of the order. My own view is that their failure to adapt to the changing landscape of the battlefields of Sapience necessitized the changes wrought by the return of Roan Seluno and the ascension of the Carnifex. It is likely a subject the libraries of the Keep can teach you more about than what I can."

Sevarius dips his head towards Luna, shifting his weight to his left leg as he adopts a more relaxed stance. "A fair answer. Would that not be the fault of the then-leaders of the Infernals, rather than the Infernals themselves? It would have been their duty to force their members to adapt, perhaps in a way that did not necessitate the mutation of the order into the present-day Carnifex. Do you view their ways as inherently flawed?"

"I certainly view their Commander at the time as a disgrace to the Keep," Luna utters with a sneer.

Sevarius arches a brow curiously. "And why is that?"

Luna Olahri says, "He betrayed his oaths on more than one occasion and planted seeds that set the groundwork for tumults that saw the Keep's strength reduced to a slim shadow of its former self. But that is a lesson for another day."

"For now, I will consider only your first question. Inherently flawed?" Luna considers this for a moment, and shakes her head. "No. The Infernals pursued ruthless efficiency in a manner not dissimiliar to the Carnifex. Had they been more proficient at adapting, they might have survived in a different form, perhaps."

Luna Olahri says, "But then, counterfactual history is an academic exercise of limited practical worth."

Sevarius tilts his head to one side, regarding Luna inquisitively. "There will be other lessons from you, Miss Olahri? Or was that merely a turn of phrase?" He absorbs the response to his question calmly, eyes of polished grey turning towards the heavens as he contemplates the matter. "Mm. I am inclined to agree that daydreaming of what could have been is of limited appeal, given pragmatic concerns. Still." He lowers his gaze to the sword clasped in his hands, a peculiar mix of longing and wistfulness colouring his features. "I do wish they had kept their proficiency with the sword. While I can understand the merits of the polearm and hammer, they are most decidedly not to my tastes. Alas."

"You would do well not to underestimate the combat abilities of a well-trained Carnifex with polearm in hand," Luna warns gravely. "Remember that endeavours into archaic combat forms are a luxury that a knight or a soldier cannot always afford." Luna nods towards a throng of militiamen loitering near the guard stations close to the inner gate, indicating with an outstretched finger their wielded weaponry. "To the men and women here, the employ of arms is a necessity to defend their homeland from outside aggression. Their priorities are expediency and efficiency, not a vain desire to perfect themselves in the elegant fighting forms of the swordsmen of old."

Sevarius allows the large weapon to lower, point-down, to the ground, clasping the hilt in his left hand and releasing it from his right, which he raises in a placating gesture. "I am underestimating no style of combat, Miss Olahri, believe me. I have every respect for the manner in which the Carnifex fight, and do no doubt that it is fatally effective in a fight." Hand now lifting to run through his hair, he casts an appraising eye over the assembled militiamen. "I am aware of such, Miss Olahri, yes. Most take up arms out of necessity, not luxury, or a love for the form and function of the various implement of war. Do not think my appreciation for the sword a childish desire to be some romanticised dark knight of old." He turns his attention back to Luna, gaze the hue and warmth of slate. "I merely believe that it is worth keeping the form of the sword alive. After all, who knows when it may be ascendant in the future? If there are no practicioners to keep the art alive, it will be lost."

"Good," Luna acknowledges curtly. "Then keep the sword, and practice with it in your own time. Another day, perhaps, we may spar with blades, and I will teach you more about the Infernal techniques of old."

Luna swiftly swings up onto a crimson-maned manticore.

Luna Olahri says to you, "For now, however, I take my leave. Duties demand my attentions elsewhere. Remain vigilant, young recruit."

Sevarius offers Luna a crisp salute, expression carefully neutral. "My thanks, Miss Olahri, both for the sword and the lessons."

Luna blurs with speed as her mount gallops her away to the southeast.

RiluoArekaEmelleIsandeXeniaHadrakAshmer

Comments

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I'm really glad to see you jumping in! Your writing is fluid and it is exciting to see new people mesh well as they start to explore.
    Sevarius
  • Thanks, Areka! I feel like I'm still seriously rusty, but I'll improve, hopefully. Maybe we'll even get to RP some day, who knows?
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Fun read.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine