Mudlet and Mac

AshmerAshmer Barefoot AdventurerLife
I'm thinking of switching over to Mac.

Anyone have any experience with how Mudlet works on Mac? Is it just straight portable, or would I have to refactor any part of my system?

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    You'd probably have to get some sort of hipster makeover, possibly a change in attitude and day to day habits. Do you spend a lot of time in coffee shops now? Also you probably would need to start working on screenplays or a book instead of playing any sort of video game.
    MalokRiluoAshmer
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    If you have string paths to include/require other files, such as C:\Users\...\etc., you'd need to switch those to reference *nix-style paths. As far as I can remember, that's the big change. There's also the fact that Mac for Mudlet is just not as stable/pretty, for whatever reason, especially if you're using one of the pre-release 3.0 builds, but that shouldn't be a huge deterrent.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    I do code in .lua modules, so that might take a refactor.

I've heard the pre-release 3.0 is EXTREMELY unstable, so I won't be using that. My current Mudlet's been very stable in 2.1; I guess I'll have to see if there are reported stability issues with 2.1 on Mac.

• I'm on a mac, apart from odd sizing with windows, mudlet works fine. I'm also on one of the free distributions of Oasis and have no issue with accessing the .lua files.

DidiAshmer
    Oh, that makes me happy. I knew we'd done something right with the loader, at least.

• Ashmer said:

Oh, that makes me happy. I knew we'd done something right with the loader, at least.

If you used getMudletHomeDir() or however it's capitalized, you shouldn't have any issues, IIRC. It seems to work fine when I try on a Linux VM using getMudletHomeDir().

I'm not a huge Apple fan outside of iPhone/iPad, but whatever floats your boat, man.
    Didi
    Yeah, Falanyx and I optimized the loader for everybody. I thought there was an issue, but now that I remember, it was actually a thing with my secured files and the bridge he coded. Oasys should work just fine on Mac.

I have to dig into that and pare it all down, anyway. Thanks for your help, @Oleis, @Xenia, @Veovis!

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I haven't had any real issues, outside of the window resizing itself any time I type something in that's longer than a line. It's apparently a known issue and supposed to be fixed in the next iteration. Outside of that, smooth as silk.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Oh that's going to make emoting really annoying, but w/e. My emotes are a lot shorter these days anyway.

• Weird @Ishin, I don't have that sort of window sizing issue. My complaint is that it's impossible to read the chat capture windows cus it's so small (or maybe my screen has high resolution, I don't know) -- my problem was that the UI for Oasys didn't transfer well to mac.

The UI for Oasys didn't transfer because before I refactored it it was set for hard pixel values instead of percentages. Thankfully with @Irruel's help I was able to refactor it to use % of the max screen res. Hard part is I'm not distributing the system. Sorry!

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    For clarification, Ishin was describing an issue with 3.0. 

Pixel references are undesirable because newer Mac models use Retina displays operating at (comparatively) very high resolutions. 
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AshmerIshin
  • No problem @Ashmer, I've been meaning to dig into those UI files and try to figure out how to change it anyway.

@Xenia, it's pretty easy actually. PM me your Skype if you want me to add you; I can probably just point you in the right direction.