D&D Anyone?

So.

There was a slight expression of interest in a web I was in a few days ago about some DnD and whatnot.

While I've never DMed or anything, I'm happy to give it a whirl, as well as try my hand at writing up an adventure/campaign...thing. I'm also not 100% sure on the logistics, given differing timezones etc etc.

Basically, I'm curious as to whether this is something that people are interested in. If there's enough people keen, I'm happy to give it all ago.

Questions, expressions of interest, comments. Go!
Now with 253% more Madness.
Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    I once tried doing an RPG thing with some people, and while it was fun, getting people coordinated was definitely a bear to do, and that was just within the US.

I can't imagine trying to coordinate across US, Europe, and Aus.

• I'm down, like I said in web!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Well, you and toz already know I'm down with doing this. It'd be fun! Also, I'd help with figuring out any of the game's logistics if that was necessary.

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    What ed?
  • I played 3.5 for awhile. Played 4.0 for abit too. Not quite sure how you would do this all, but I'd be down. I think I still have all my PGs and MMs.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• I'd be interested in it, I've gotten a list of characters written down somewhere I can convert into DnD character sheets, if necessary. Just gimme a poke for my skype, if that's the method we use.
  • i'd be interested actual dnd or pathfinder system?
    Angwe
  • edited March 2015
    Some points of clarification:

3.5 Edition, most likely.

It'd be actual DnD. Though, it would be stuff I've invented myself.

Edit - That is to say, the story/adventure and so forth
  • How would you dessiminate this to accomodate the players who are showing interest?? By that, I mean what medium are you going to be using since we all can't sit at the same game table and play.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Zsadist said:

How would you dessiminate this to accomodate the players who are showing interest?? By that, I mean what medium are you going to be using since we all can't sit at the same game table and play.

That's a point I'm still rather fuzzy on, to be honest. And I'm willing to accept suggestions of what might work. At the moment, I'm looking into a couple of different ways, but they come with a few drawbacks.

Like I said though, suggestions are welcome.
  • I offer Skype as an option, with the DM running a cam on the game board, and a group for the players and DM to converse, and if the DM needs to pull a player aside, they can do it in a private chat. I mean, it'll take some skype know-how I lack to get the cam thing set up properly...BUT I think the rest should work!
  • Roll20.net has everything from a voicechat feature to the ability to draw your own maps and stuff. And character sheets can be stored there, as well.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Haven
  • Toz said:

Roll20.net has everything from a voicechat feature to the ability to draw your own maps and stuff. And character sheets can be stored there, as well.

Roll20.net is the standout winner of options, so far
  • I can do 3.5 :) soon as we figure who is on board and the right day skype works for communication for me too
  • I'd have to redownload the 3.5 PG, I don't think I have that one anymore. I'd have to check.

• I think roll20.net is probably the best option, cus it handles the dice rolls and character sheets, etc. Also, as for logistics, what if it was like a weekly or biweekly thing, probably scheduled around weekends, to try and work out best with all the varying time zones?

• I'd be interested but no promises. Until summer, my schedule is pretty chaotic in terms of what I do on my free time.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I have weekends off. I'd definitely love to play. :) So we're playing 3.5, yeah?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Some questions have been asked, so I'll post the answers here.

1) 3.5 Edition. (Mostly because I have all the resources for that particular edition at hand)

2) The plan is to start players/characters at level 1. So no fancy prestige classes to begin with. Though there should be space to expand into them as things progress.

3) As far as races, it's my intention to stick with what's in the Players Handbook. That said, if you're interested in something a bit different, you're welcome to pitch the idea to me. I'll consider it, at the very least. Though no promises as to whether I'll say yes.

4) It'll be about another week or so before I've finished writing/preparing the actual body of the starting adventure/campaign thing. Last few days have been fairly hectic workwise, and I expect the next few to be the same, or worse.

Once I've got it ready, I'll make another announcement here, asking for players, and we'll see about nailing down a time and day, based on availabilities.

It's looking like roll20.net is going to be the way we go, but if someone has a better idea, I'm willing to hear it.

Anymore questions, or whatever. Feel free to throw them up here!
  • umm...will webcams/mics be necessary?
  • @Sakyl - No. Roll20.net has a text-chat feature. And I won't be enforcing any sort of "Must have webcam/mic" policy, so if you find yourself cam/mic -less, don't worry
  • out of curiosity, do you like to do the whole character creation as a group thing at the start, or are we meant to come in with characters pre-made? Personally I've always been a fan of the former cus then it gives the group some idea of what roles might be needed for the party.

• edited March 2015
    I enjoy group sessions because it helps people to start feeling out the direction others are going in. It also lets us figure out what sort of reason we might have for ending up in the same hobo murder squad.

I am up for whatever, though. I'm probably going to be a Psion or a Wizard of some sort ;P

Ishin
  • @Xenia: Yeah, I'd be happier for a group-style thing.
  • I'd probably run as a Ranger or Cleric. I like the distance of the Ranger, but everyone needs a healer. Though I hate playing Cleric because you can only use spells so many times a day. Kinda bothersome to me.

• Pfff... cleric's are op, I'd play a cleric or a rogue
  • I may jump in on this, schedule may be iffy. But, not like I cannot stay at the nearest town and hire a guide to get me to the group. Have not played 3.5 in a long time. Age about to show but still have a decent amount of the original D&D and 2.0 books :P

XeniaIshin
  • I can do weekends. Maybe friday nights too. However, if the play nights are not going to be consistent and just one shot games, I probably won't play. I like playing storylines and see my character get to Demi-god/Prestige statuses.

• @Zsadist: I'd like it to be consistent. And yeah, there will be a storyline, not a few one shot adventures
  • Currently working on 3.5, 4.0, and 5.0 knowledge.. so correct me if I run into any inconsistencies. :D