A Templar Knighting: Passing the white cloak

ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
The Chapel of the Radiant Heart.
This serene chapel surrounds one with austere alabaster marble. An altar at the end has been draped in white silk, and a great sword stands embedded within it. The steel of the honed blade is stained through with deep azure veins, and the silver hilt is a masterwork of gleaming design. The altar stands upon a small dais, the front end worn into two distinct dips, where Knight after Knight has knelt in prayer and thought before their formal ceremonies.

Lucie enters from the south following Edain.

Edain's hand drapes lightly over the leather-wrapped hilt of the heavy broadsword at his hip.

Head bowed in prayer, Areka flicks a few drops of oil from an anointing jar upon her smithing hammer and blade, before stowing them as Edain enters the silent space. With a pass of her hand, she beckons him to approach the altar.

(Templars): You say, "Please proceed to the Assemby hall - we are having a moment of prayer in the Chapel and then will meet you there."

Before his first step, Edain leans back and pecks Lucie lightly on one cheek. With that, he follows a few strides behind you. His attention is briefly pulled by a jar of anointing oil, and his hand tightens on the simple hilt of his sword before he relaxes and continues on.

Lucie's smile brightens as she watches Edain carefully, the corners of her film-lined gaze crinkling as she begins to squint.

Areka retrieves a dish of incense from the altar's top and breathes a lick of flame upon it, igniting it to send its somber scent into the air - duty and faith both into smoke and breath. Next the woman reclaims the jar of oil, stating, "Knighthood is a heavy mantle and bound in the merit you give it."

As you light a bowl of heady, solemn incense, you allow it to smolder for a moment before puffing out the burning flame.

You pick up a jar of anointing oil.

Edain's attention is firmly affixed on you, an intense, awake expression sharpening his countenance.

Spiced and heady, the fragrant threads of smoke fill the air with a breath of solemnity.

Taking a few strides to Edain, Areka dabs her thumb into the oil and begins to mark his face, with a smear above each eye, once before each ear, a dab in the center of his brow, and a line that passes over his lips.

You say, "You seal yourself to it, as much as it to you, for the duration of your service."

Spiced and heady, the fragrant threads of smoke fill the air with a breath of solemnity.

Areka sets the jar aside before raising her hand, fingers alight with bladefire. With a glimmering pass, the Azudim ignites the oil upon the Aspirant, enough to burn it away and leave trails of soot in its place, to be felt, but not harm. "May you listen purely, learn fully, and speak truly in the work you undertake."

Edain doesn't flinch in the slightest, his breathing steadying with each intake and slowing with each exhale.

As the tendrils heady scent continue to disperse in the air, Areka scoops up two palmfuls of smoke and pours them over Edain's head as if it were water. A moment of silence passes before the woman withdraws. "Take a few moments to meditate over our Ethos and this mantle. Join us in the Assembly Hall once you are ready."

-Movement-

Assembly Hall of the Templar Knighthood.
Reconstructed of new and old stone, this enormous hall has been fashioned into an auditorium. Rows of glossy oaken pews on either side of the hall form a single aisle down the center that leads to the pulpit, austere and sturdy. A mahogany podium with twin candles on its edges stands at the central edge of the pulpit, commanding attention, while a glass case has been set upon a marble dais along the northern side. In contrast to the somber architecture, tapestries of bright red, gold, white and blue add an enlivened brightness to the space, each bearing symbols of weapons, divine Orders and various historical milestones.
A glittering golden case, meticulously crafted, stands out on the northern wall. Resting atop a pedestal in the center of the hall's raised platform is a large, aureate tome, book and pedestal both gleaming in the lamplight.
Corvo is here. Lady Alee Noreneno is here. Sir Noon Cardinalis is here. Rashar Kynoura is here.

Sir Noon Cardinalis says to Corvo, "It'll be fun."

Corvo's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Areka throws a quick salute to the Knights present, heavy steps carrying her down the center aisle between the pews. She gestures to them and then to Lucie, offering the smaller woman a seat, before moving to stand before the podium. Swinging it from her back, the woman sets a cloth-draped shield at the podium's base, then turns to face the congregation and waits.

With a hand along the back of a nearby pew, Lucie slips into a seat - bowing her head for a thoughtful moment.

With a wistful look on her face, Lucie touches a trinket of living flame.

The flames confined within a trinket of living flame belonging to Lucie swirls around restlessly within the lantern as she lays her fingers upon its surface.

Edain arrives from the west.

Edain enters in slow, long strides, soot marking his brow, cheeks, and lips.

Areka draws a line with an open palm between Edain and the space before her at the front of the hall. To those gathered, she gravely states in her coarse, stoic alto, "We are gathered to witness the undertaking of words, pledge, and mantle for of an Aspirant entering the Order of the Radiant Heart."

Edain's bright eyes flick across the pews, finding each face in turn as he moves down the aisle between the pews. He coaxes his hand off of the hilt of the heavy, script-etched broadsword at his hip, and as he stands before you they both find fists at his sides. After a brief look across the pulpit, and a quiet study of a glittering golden case, his attention settles fully on you.

You say, "Knighthood is not a title, though we mark it with such - it is a whole living of our Ethos, willful acceptance of our duty to each other, this city, Cycle, and world, to ensure that the Light may withstand the dark with integrity."

You say to Edain, "Are you prepared to undertake it?"

Knight-Aspirant Edain Tenor says to you, "I am."

Voice ringing with the ritual words, you say, "Where there are the weak, the helpless, and the broken, will you raise your shield and defend them?"

Without pause, Knight-Aspirant Edain Tenor says to you, "I will."

You say, "Where there are those who are lost, seeking redemption, or in need of aide, will you raise your voice and guide them?"

Knight-Aspirant Edain Tenor says to you, "I will."

You say, "Where there is chaos, conflict, and temptation to stray from our paths, will you endeavor to stay your blade to listen, and raise it to pierce through the veils of Artifice?"

Edain's breathing comes steady, and as he speaks the hint of age that had palled his features lifts, leaving them youthful and intent.

Knight-Aspirant Edain Tenor says to you, "I will."

The Beacon of Enorian glows brightly from within the Temple District.

With an approving nod, you say, "It is customary for the Aspiring to offer of themselves. Have you words to speak?"

Edain nods firmly. "I have a promise to make to you and the Templars," he answers.

You say, "Then make it."

Edain's tone is unchanged as he speaks. "I promise that my breath and my life will be used to fulfill the Promise of the Liberation."

Lucie softly smiles, a certain sense of pride shining in her opalescent gaze.

After a quiet pause, Edain continues, speaking as if to a friend: "I swear by that breath that I will speak the truth. I will love wholly, live simply, and lay my blade across the path of any who threaten the innocent or defenseless."

Firmly, Knight-Aspirant Edain Tenor says to you, "I hold this oath to be True. I will refuse distraction, indulgence, and temptation in its pursuit."

"Kneel." Areka states.

Edain drops to one knee, his head bowed and his hands braced on his leg. His pierced lips move, briefly, but no audible words escape.

A swish of fabric follows as the Azudim whips a cloak from its place folded atop the podium. Areka drapes it over Edain's shoulders, the folds encasing him in a cascade of snowy white. "As Yanda to Syvelium, honour our values and foundation, and let the righteousness of our cause shelter and guide you. Lead, and guide, with the purity of Light and truth." She says, face softening for a moment with a warm smile and nod of her horned head.

Turning upon her heel, Areka briskly strides to the display cabinet, reclaiming a key from her belt as she moves. Movements practiced and reverent, she opens the case and retrieves the ceremonial blade held therein.

The Ceremonial Sword of the Templars slides out of a glittering golden case with a satisfying steely ring.
You take the Ceremonial Sword of the Templars from a glittering golden case.

Areka crisply turns about-face and returns to stand before Edain.

Taking a half step forward, and with a graceful swing, Areka draws the blade to touch upon Edain's shoulder. "I thus recognize you as Sir Edain, Templar Knight," she says. "Bound in duty." The blade moves to tap his opposite shoulder. "And honour." The blade arcs and taps the first shoulder again. "And Light. Rise, Sir Edain," she finishes, drawing the blade upright and before her in a formal armed-salute. "And go forth, in the calling of Life, so that when you must face the Underking's halls, you may know no regret or shame."

Edain will now be known as Sir Edain Tenor.

Edain presses to his feet, his heels snapping together as he returns your gesture with a crisp salute.

You have appointed Edain as Knights of the The Order of the Radiant Heart.

Areka quietly steps aside to return the blade to its place, giving Edain a moment's center of the hall.

The Ceremonial Sword of the Templars fits perfectly into the interior of a glittering golden case.
You put the Ceremonial Sword of the Templars into a glittering golden case.

As she returns to stand before Edain, Areka stoops to gather up the shield she had placed at the podium's base. "Now, we have another to add to our ranks." She states to the room. "Let us go find Edain a place."

Edain's attention still tracks your motion, and though he visibly relaxes he remains at attention.

-Movement-

Hall of History.
Nearly as tall as the eastern chamber, this room is easily two stories in height. A large fireplace warms the room from the west, paired with a set of austere wooden chairs, and lines of rectangular braziers keep it illuminated in the darkest of night, despite the high windows. True to its name, surrounding the northern entry is an array of orderly plaques, each notating various historic events or listings of individuals. The southern wall, in turn, is a resilient display of war-time service and community. One after another, in columns and rows beside more columns and rows, shields bearing the device of each Knight of the Order have been hung, marking their duty and time with honour and prestige.
The crackle and glow of a grand fireplace dominates the western wall. The southern wall is adorned with shields of honoured Templars.

As she approaches the wall, Areka turns to strip the veil from the shield and raises to show it off to those gathered. "Sir Edain!" She calls out, before turning once more to secure the kite to a mooring amidst the rank and file.

You display a broad, prayer-draped kite shield for all in the room to see.
Nicked and scarred from obvious use, the base for this shield has seen better days. The wood is greying at the edges, and the straps have begun to fray where they are riveted into the gently-curved back. The majority of the tragedy is concealed behind a worn canvas drape. Its lower edge is tattered in ways that let it curl and caress the slightest motion of air, and it is liberally splashed with dark ink in broad strokes. An angel spreads down the center, her robe covering barely what's necessary of her slender curves. Her features are decidedly exotic, with a faint tilt to her almond eyes and darkened skin. Illegible script marches down the canvas into a double-column on either side. "Dear Father", "watch over", and "this is my Contract" can be made out here and there, but the rest is too thoroughly mangled to be truly read. Beneath one bare foot, the words "IOS FOUR TWELVE" are stamped in bold lettering.

You carefully affix a broad, prayer-draped kite shield to its proper place upon a towering wall of shields.

You say, "Thank you all for coming and being present as the mantle is passed and another Knight rises. Let us honour him."

A rallying shout sounds from the Vigil, sending the clattering of weapons to echo through the streets of Enorian as the Templars welcome the triumph of Edain as they join the ranks of Knighthood.

High and wide, this wall is covered with shields in neat rows and columns, each bearing a different device and image. Plaques have been hung beneath each, marking the name and family of the Knight who once held the shield.
It weighs about 1000 pound(s).
The following items are displayed within a towering wall of shields:
"kite shield6062" a crimson sun-crested kite shield
"banded shield11646" a banded shield of the Aalen
"tower shield36534" a bloodied, edged tower shield
"tower shield36542" a rampant gryphon tower shield
"tower shield43975" a blazing, earth-marked tower shield
"cavalry shield71208" a falcon crested cavalry shield
"kite shield77827" an austere alabaster kite shield
"buckler77851" a dark buckler depicting the Del'baeth crest
"buckler84087" an ebon hawk-faced buckler
"tower shield85599" a stout Dwarven tower shield
"buckler91394" a buckler bearing crossed scimitars on a red field
"tower shield101211" an aquatically decorated tower shield
"buckler108033" a blood-stained buckler
"kite shield108151" a simple Dwarven kite shield
"banded shield111257" a blade-edged, golden web banded shield
"buckler137529" a rustic, hand-clasped green buckler
"tower shield145672" a rustic tower shield of conquered demons
"cavalry shield187713" a black, star-emblazoned cavalry shield
"buckler187963" a ruby-inlaid ironwood buckler
"buckler199635" a crimson rose-emblazoned buckler
"tower shield202122" a falcon-marked tower shield
"kite shield205044" a white wyrm-cast kite shield
"tower shield205963" a viper-claimed tower shield
"kite shield208424" a dark kite shield inlaid with silver
"tower shield209289" a fiery red tower shield
"tower shield214293" a ridge-crested tower shield
"tower shield227369" a resilient tower shield with Trollish engravings
"tower shield227467" a tower shield bearing rose-entwined swords
"cavalry shield230206" a crested, crow-guarded tower cavalry shield
"tower shield231764" a moonlit tower shield
"tower shield231825" a Trollish, steadfast tower shield
"tower shield232011" a tower shield bearing light and wings
"cavalry shield234884" a light-branded cavalry shield
"banded shield328937" a filigree banded shield slicked with glass frost
"kite shield192742" a broad, prayer-draped kite shield
ParkerAshmerRasharMoireanTeaniLucieHavenMelanthaIsande

Comments

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I miss Knight role play sometimes. 
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    [Deleted User]Ishin
  • This is the coolest thing I've read in a long while. I'm suddenly interested in getting a cross-training program set up between the Daru and the Templars. Expect me to approach you IG soon, @Areka!
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
    Areka
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I look forward to it! May be a bit slow until I'm state-side again, but I'd like to see guilds doing more with each other. :)
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Which shield is Varian's?

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    His is the entire wall, since we are all stardust of the Celestine.
    AngweTozAshmer