Tavern Talk (OT thread)

Comments

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Aren said:

I have a few things from the past that stand out:

I really liked learning the whole vampire cure back when it was new new. The events leading up to it and then after it were neat and yay! Finally a vampire cure!

Zahmekoses when I was a little Paladin knight was a great example of scary vampire baddie. He -could- fight (from what I remember) but I recall him coming into Enorian to warn us about an idol and being all badass without having to get physical.

To be honest I miss the conflict overall. Landmarks. Wars. Hell RP conflict is right up my alley. More things like what Spines does with fight night but between conflicting sides would be great.

Tbh man, I never ever thought I'd say it - I miss Landmarks more than I miss War. :|
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Jami
  • edited January 2015
    I sort of miss the old war system because I enjoyed moving troops/being part of a group to protect divisions of troops as we moved them to entrench. The fighting that would erupt all around that was pretty intense as well. If you fail to protect the troops you were moving and died to the other city, there's a real risk to losing your division which is quite valuable given how you can only hire a certain amount of troops every IG month. I also remember the crazy suicidal attempts we made at moving our troops down enorian road and going in through blackwind to order our troops to attack the enemy divisions that weren't entrenched there but just kept there for 'safety'.

That's one part of the war system I enjoyed the most (the part about intense fighting and fights that really, really mattered). Now, what we have as a system for conflicts are lessers, and while they are pretty cool, I feel like they don't matter as much as troop divisions did in the past, and so group fights that happen around them now feel less intense and less satisfying.
    IshinJensenArbreMoirean
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @areka I really enjoyed my short stint at Templars. Was a different role for me
    IshinAreka
    My xbox 360 is probably older than some of our younger Aetolians. If nothing else, it's been having sex longer than they have.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    JensenMoirean
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I always wonder how young people get into muds. Like us older folks started before mmos were a thing (or at least super common) but how do the younger people het into muds over normal games?
    Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I guess it could be a natural progression from roleplaying forums or roleplay servers of other games.
    EmelleMelantha
    When I was in middle school I was (and still am) addicted to RPGs. Video games, pencil and paper, and eventually MUDs. A friend of mine who used to host games got me into aetolia and I've been hooked ever since.
    Ishin
  • I googled 'free online games' then went to the 13th page back from the start, for the hell of it. Ended up on Achaea's website from that.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

MoireanTrager
    A newbie I helped in Avalon said that one of the characters in the big bang theory played a mud so he wanted to try.

I dunno if I'd play muds if I was young now and started gaming. Back then I yahood to find a free fantasy game. But muds aren't weird to me because we had zork and spinoffs on our computer (well technically on floppies) as well as other types of game that were all or mostly text. My favorite was a text truck driver text simulation where I'd never let the guy sleep and would usually crash and die.

When I first started mudding it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize I wasn't the only player. I had never played a game like that before, with other people remotely? It blew my mind and I fell in love with the genre from the sheer awesomeness. I dunno if that sort of awestruck feeling can even be found by kids who grew up in the cell phone and internet age.
    Ishin
    I'm basically like Jensen. Heavy into RPGs, D&D, stuff like that. Me and one of my homies played 2nd Ed. D&D for years and years, even after more recent editions came out. I even remember playing Goblin's Quest on my Commodore 64. I had an original Nintendo at age 4 or so, and an old-ass computer monitor to play it on. And toys. I had a lot of time playing by myself, so like, role-playing is something I've been doing for forever.

I found Achaea back when I was in High School because I was looking for online D&D. Moved to Aetolia not too long after. :)
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    MoireanJensen
  • Kids these days don't read enough, that's why. It was the stories that I had been reading way before that which helped make the text medium as immersive as video games and graphics. When I first got into MUDs, the video game industry was already revving into high gear. Heck, I played on the Super Nintendo for years before I knew what MUDs were, but I still never felt like MUDs were not as fun or engaging. Amusingly I got into D&D long after I started playing MUDs. And I read the Dragonlance stories long before I started playing MUDs. Anachronistic much, huh.
    IshinMoirean
    Why don't kids read? That's sad :( I find myself reading a ton lately. Things like audio books mean I can even "read" stories while working or at the gym.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Audiobooks are my life now. I listen to them every night at work. I've gotten through an insane amount of them in the last c ouple years, cause I pretty much listen to audiobooks as a full time job hahaha.
    IshinMoirean
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I started in Achaea after someone I RP'd with in an old MSN chatroom (those were the days, nostalgia) recommended it.

I have noticed children not reading as much - though my exposure has been limited. Lot of kids I've dealt with have their own ipads and spend most of their idle time playing ipad games or watching youtube videos, which is really..weird to me.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Roger Zelazny's Madwand got me into MUDing. It was the first bit of fantasy stock I'd absorbed other than the Final Fantasy series of games (a family favorite) and the book had revealed to me that I really liked that stuff. One night, after re-re-rereading this book, I used my brand new internet connection on my brand new HP and searched for a game that was 'like Dungeons and Dragons' because as far as my 13-year-old self knew, that was pretty much it for that sort of 'pulp fantasy' feel I was looking for, and I wanted to pretend to be an awesome wizard like Pol Detson. I found Achaea.
    IshinMoirean
    Aishia said:

Audiobooks are my life now. I listen to them every night at work. I've gotten through an insane amount of them in the last c ouple years, cause I pretty much listen to audiobooks as a full time job hahaha.

Check out Ready Player One - awesome book, period, and the audio book is narrated by Will Wheaton. It's really nerdy and great.
    Angwe said:

Roger Zelazny's Madwand got me into MUDing. It was the first bit of fantasy stock I'd absorbed other than the Final Fantasy series of games (a family favorite) and the book had revealed to me that I really liked that stuff. One night, after re-re-rereading this book, I used my brand new internet connection on my brand new HP and searched for a game that was 'like Dungeons and Dragons' because as far as my 13-year-old self knew, that was pretty much it for that sort of 'pulp fantasy' feel I was looking for, and I wanted to pretend to be an awesome wizard like Pol Detson. I found Achaea.

Loooooove Zelazny. Read the Chronicles of Amber books if you're a fan of him. So good.
    Ishin
    Man, so I watched this movie last night before I went to bed. At like. 3am. It's when I finished it at least.

Movie's named Solomon Kane, and it's on Netflix. Premise sounded okay, and the first few minutes, I was like, 'Eh'. Then, I was like, AWW SHIYUT. It got good. And like...it stayed good. The parts that weren't action were like, legit. Watch it sometime. It's a little dark, but still very, very good.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    MoireanJensenAshmer
    I'll add it to my queue.

I'm not gonna lie, part of the reason I am up to level 171 is because I am a netflix/hulu junkie. I just put on shows and bash for hours.
    Ishin
    I had passed over that movie sooo many times. Was pleasantly surprised
    Ishin
  • Moirean said:

I'll start the ball rolling with a classic topic: what are your favorite game memories?

• Early RP with Haern. Elanti (his priestess) gave birth to triplets. I made some joke about birthing foals, and Haern ended up making me assist with the third when there was some complication.
    • The morgun corruption event. It was uncovering a conspiracy and not at all scripted (since it was mostly player initiated). Fun times, plenty of pvp in it too. Yay Wedric.
    • The (a?) three day war with bloodloch. I remember singlehandedly defending troops against small teams from loch, for hours. It's true - they weren't good fighters, but it was only me so a fun weekend.
    • Tea and cake with Chakrasul (woo Moi)
    • First 1-2 months of Bahkatu
    • "Purging" Duiran
    • First totem war in Tasur'ke
    • Kerrithrim
    • An Eno vs Loch war (Edhain and Moirean, Aere/Paris etc - one where Moi was writing fiction about each day's events)
    IshinMoirean
    Oh man, cake with chak.
    Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I remember looking after Chakrasul's bunny for a while, that was unique.
    Man I wish I had more hours in my day. I feel like my aet time is slipping. Any good tips to maximize gameplay on a limited schedule?
    Ferrik
    Moirean said:

Man I wish I had more hours in my day. I feel like my aet time is slipping. Any good tips to maximize gameplay on a limited schedule?

Maybe ration your time? Login Monday, bash. Tuesday, do city stuff. Wednesday, guild stuff. Thursday, do whatever you want. Rinse and repeat? Not too sure, I've never been good at that stuff, lol.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Moirean
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Don't sleep.
    TragerToz
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I've always been reading a lot and I'm really proud that my daughter is as well. Being on schools as a substitute teacher has shown me the sad truth that a lot of kids don't read as much these days. Graphics are more compelling. Personally I've played some pen and paper RPGs and loved that. After that I slipped into the fantasy genre with my reading and never really got out of it. High fantasy though. I really really dislike Zelazny's Amber series (mutters something about flying motorcycles).

I wasn't supposed to start playing Aetolia, but a friend of mine was talking about it so much I thought I'd just see what it was. I made a character, intending to just drop it right away after gaining some understanding of it. That was in 2006. Two months later I averaged 100 hours playtime a week (no idling) as well as holding down a fulltime job.

I loved how much RP there was everywhere, openly. You heard more about non-griefy rp fights, people could actually rp out badassery without resorting to physical stuff. I remember dying a lot because I wasn't a good fighter, but also that I could live through tough negotiations at the entrance of Bloodloch on merit of being honest (old Paladin style).

I liked old Arion and the whole Valor thing, because it suited my character so well. I remember when Severn turned Sir Syvelium inte a shadow armor, and when he tricked Ecikoria to open up the eastern parts of Itzatl. The fights around the Shadow gate on Mostyn, still locked by the awesome chains that were made. I remember Brunnengs quest to ascend, building wells all over the world, back when ascending was a really huge accomplishment and you had to have a Divine assist you with essence to become Yeleni or Azudim. In a way I still wish that was the case, since there is Idreth now. I also remember the small things, like holding regular venom classes to teach afflictions and venomlocks.

IshinMoireanEmelle
    Where are the 'good guys' these days. I play a practically evil villain/antihero type dude, but like...I have no -rivals-. Back in the day, rivals -abounded-. Now it's like, every lifer is a rude, antagonistic little shithead. Where'd the selfless kindness go. Did that disappear with the Paladins and Priests? :(

I feel like my evilness is moot sometimes, because there is no white half of my yin-yang circle thingie. :(
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Didi
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    What! I am so kind and pure and full of love.
    Aishia said:

What! I am so kind and pure and full of love.

These forums really need a 'lol' button..

Sry bb but you're no Golden Child.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    TeaniJensenHaven
  • Regarding 'rivals', @Ishin, I've been trying to get Mel out where she can be seen lately. It's been working with moderate success. If you ever want to bump into me while I'm logged in, feel free. Open invitation to everyone, really. I can promise that Mel probably won't hate you on sight, but she doesn't go out of her way to be rude.
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
    Ishin