Space Station 13

TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
This is an awful game where you play as 2D spessmens (space men) and work together to keep a space station up and running. Except that your coworkers might be brutally incompetent. Oh, and usually there are one or more people actively working to destroy the place.

To play, you need BYOND, a lightweight and atrocious program that serves as the game's platform. This is all free by the way.

http://www.byond.com/

The server I play on is Baystation 12, which is a heavy RPI server with certain restrictions (no clowns, boxers, mimes, genetics, or any other silly/abusive/unbalanced jobs; whitelisted xeno races). It has a pretty excellent RP scene there. If you can get past the awful game interface you just might like it!

http://baystation12.net/

Anyway, if you've heard of the game or play, post your stories here! My current favorite:
  • Spawned as an antagonist team: the nuclear operatives. We choose a name at round start and discovered that all but one of us named ourselves after James Bond films. We quickly changed the jobs on our IDs to 'Agent 00X' and put on our best navy-blue suits.
  • We descend upon the space station NSS Exodus, with the intention of securing the bar and running off with their liquor dispenser, so that we may have all the martinis we can drink.
  • This plan goes off wrong immediately. Security discovers us almost right away. Agent 005 Moonraker gets impatient with an airlock and opens up that portion of the station with a C4 charge. General shenanigans.
  • My character, Agent 002 Thunderball, slips through mostly unnoticed, until I reach the Cargo Bay, where a lowly technician discovers me. I give them a few shots in the leg with my submachine gun. Unfortunately they die.
  • "Thunderball, did you kill someone?"
  • "I apologize terribly for my rudeness. I meant to leave them only shaken, not stirred."
  • Agent 008 Dr. No shouts at me from the operative shuttle a lot.
  • I have to AFK most of the round due to an emergency. Come back to find that Agents Goldeneye and Skyfall have made off with the station's gold and silver.
  • "It's been a pleasure, Exodus. We would stay and chat, but alas... you only live twice."
ElieEmelle

Comments

• HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro

(tbqh, it's a pretty hilarious and amazingly deep game but Trigru's emphasis on the AWFUL should be bolded x1000)

Trigru
  • ... This sounds awfully fun. I'll check it out tomorrow!

Politics
  • Going to try it right now.
  • I am a very confused janitor right now :\
    Seurimas
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I was a bald, man-looking woman named Kailey. It was an.. interesting time.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• Ha ha! Much Fun. Do again!

Politics
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    So, I probably should have mentioned some tips for you guys.
    • Start as an assistant for maximum noob-learning mode. Janitor, Librarian, Chaplain, Psychiatrist, and Internal Affairs are also noob-friendly jobs, but you're expected to do things with these, so be careful!
    • Do NOT play Security until you know what you're doing.
    • You can alt-click an adjacent tile (or the one you're standing on) to get a list of objects in that tile. You can then right-click them as they appear in the tab at the top-right of the screen.
    • Set your screen mode to "stretch" and drag the right-side windows over a little to widen up the play area.
    • Check out the hotkeys under Help at the top menu bar.
    • You start with a box in your backpack. Click it while you have an empty hand to take it out, then click-drag the box to your character to see what's inside. It comes with internals (breath mask and small oxygen tank) for the inevitable moment when the station begins to explode.
    • Join the WASD master race. Hit Tab until you see the Hotkey toggle on the bottom right activate (e.g. it looks pressed-in). You can use WASD to move around, E to equip an item, X to toggle your current hands, Z to use whatever's in your current hand, R to throw things, Q to drop things, and more.
    • While in hotkey mode, use T to talk. F4, which isn't so intuitive, lets you emote.
    • How to talk on the radio: Start a sentence with a semi-colon (;) to talk on the public radio. Start it with a colon (:) and a department letter to talk on your departmental channel, if you have one (ex: :s for Security, :u for Supply). Take your headset off and Examine (shift-click) it to see what departments it has.
    • Don't be a dummy and randomly go steal/break crap. It'll get you banned. Unless you're an antagonist, then go wild.
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I CAN NOT STOP PLAYING, EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT THAT GOOD.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• I'll give it another go. I stopped because I felt inadequate being a janitor who didn't know how to clean up dirt and spills :(
  • OH GOD THE BOX. Would have been so handy since last night every second scenario seemed to have a breach in it.

Politics
  • I love the constant resets and what it does for creative roleplay. I advocate that death in Aetolia shall have the consequence of permadeath. But all wealth and credits shall transfer to the new alt. Does not apply for undead or vampires (which is the point).
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    Yeah, it's been pretty inspiring. You're REALLY scared of death in SS13 when it happens. Instanced RP can be pretty fun!
  • Eh, just had a brainwave about how we can have instanced RP in Aetolia.

Maybe a dream realm (cue Omei) where people can enter, take on a new persona.

And of course, everything that happens in Dreamvegas, stays in Dreamvegas.
    AngweEmelle
  • IngramIngram Alaska
    I'm rezzing this, I don't care. This game has eaten my life. I've been a bartender who broke a bottle over a guy's head after her shot someone in my bar before blinding him with the shards, a cargo technician who got turned into a talking soulstone stuck on a counter in a security checkpoint after the stupid cultist was caught, a virologist who splashed a beaker of blood in a central hallway that had a virus which was spread BY blood and caused blood pukings(Came back out to the station looking like a Pollock painting with just red), and even someone's portable AI walking around in their pocket being snarky. I swear to God, every round I play just ends up having an awesome story or experience, and it's so dysfunctional, the people are so dumb/funny/bad/cruel/clever, and I should never, ever be chief engineer again. Much less promoted to it from working in cargo.

This gameeeee.
    TragerEmelle
  • >mfw sec keeps confiscating my spears but leaves the QM's black market gun shop alone
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Yeah, I can't even explain Security in some games that I play. Even when I'm Security.

Had a game where a Warden spent the entire round outside of the brig and armory. An obvious Changeling attacks the Warden in my Medbay (I'm the CMO). I go chase after the ling, thinking the Warden is behind me to back me up. Nope, turns out the Warden decided to stop and arrest the Chaplain because he wasn't wearing 'standard-issue robes'. I obviously die and the AI even points out that I'm being fireax'd to death. Changeling becomes me as the CMO and the Warden pretty much ignores the AI and allows the CMO to take him into surgery where he gets cryostrung repeatedly and robusted. The Warden was just... blegh.
  • Would anyone be interested in playing on a private server? I devved for one of the big codebases and have a VPS that can run an instance and I wouldn't mind playing with a crowd that is a bit less hostile than the average SS13 playerbase. If folks are keen I can get it set up.
    Lin
  • DzekkDzekk A training courtyard surrounded by arches
    It seems fun to get into, but I can't guarantee it would hold my ADHD-addled mind for very long.

But I would be interested.
    (The Front Line): Aishia says, "U better check yourself before u Dzekk urself."
  • DrestynDrestyn Bloodloch
    I'm honkrested-- I mean interested.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Me:

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Is that the famous new york hat, somehow launched into space?
  • Lin said:

Me: hoi!!!

Hey that Sec officer is me.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Aishia said:

Is that the famous new york hat, somehow launched into space?

They wish they had that much swag.
  • I don't know what this is, but it intrigues the hell out of me.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • DrestynDrestyn Bloodloch
    It's memes given shape as a game, clearly. Also, it's a spessmen game where players run a space station and hilarity/stupidity/greatness ensues.

Lin
  • We have a little server up running the Europa SS13 codebase, details are in the Discord topic at https://discord.gg/ydSM7vZ