13th Anniversary games

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    lol oh Ratchet.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited October 2014
    Not sure if this is intended or an oversight, but the CTF giving ranked points out to everyone who participates is going to basically determine who wins the overall city stuff. Assuming each city fields like 10 people (and that's being generously low, we've seen CTFs with 15-20 people on teams), that's like 50 points to the winner. We're nearly halfway through and cities are barely just reaching 50 points, so, it looks like the CTF will be an overwhelming factor and kinda make the rest of the city participation negligible.
    Alissandra
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm not sure, but I don't think CTF is possible for rogues to join, which is kind of a problem if you're trying to rack up participation points, but aren't aligned anywhere.

Also, having a command to be able to see how many points we've accrued would be nice.
    EVENT RANKINGS shows that.
  • Moirean said:
    Not sure if this is intended or an oversight, but the CTF giving ranked points out to everyone who participates is going to basically determine who wins the overall city stuff. Assuming each city fields like 10 people (and that's being generously low, we've seen CTFs with 15-20 people on teams), that's like 50 points to the winner. We're nearly halfway through and cities are barely just reaching 50 points, so, it looks like the CTF will be an overwhelming factor and kinda make the rest of the city participation negligible.
    Ideally I think everyone should get 1 participation point and the city itself gets the 5/3/2 for placing. Last... Well I hope all your noobs played! Since ctf isn't an individual event it hardly seems plausible to grant an entire city's population 5/3/2 points each for a single event. 

Moirean
    According to the announce post, that's what is happening. Like I said, it'll pretty much be determining the outcome of the city aspect of the tournament.

----

Also regarding the CTF - is there any chance the arena can be opened up like 20 minutes before it starts? One hasn't been held in a LONG time and many people haven't done one, so it would be nice to give people time to explore and learn the layout.
  • That's pretty... I don't know what the right word is. 

It also basically determines who gets to be in the final 13 credit prizes. Because 5 points is huge. Glad I've already tempered my expectations but the CTF was probably the one event I would have enjoyed. Now there is huge pressure to not let my citymates down, because it is not something that can be recovered from. 
    Yeah, it would be way better if the cities got the 5/3/2 and everyone else just got one. Toss the winning city the Ulgar statue to sweeten the pot. It seems a bit off that a newb who just comes in and autobashes and rides their city coattails can jump ahead of someone who's attended multiple events and worked their butt off.
    IshinAlissandra
  • Moirean said:

It seems a bit off that a newb who just comes in and autobashes and rides their city coattails can jump ahead of someone who's attended multiple events and worked their butt off.

I think this is a bigger issue in and of itself than just something that should be directed towards the Event Games.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Moirean said:

Yeah, it would be way better if the cities got the 5/3/2 and everyone else just got one. Toss the winning city the Ulgar statue to sweeten the pot. It seems a bit off that a newb who just comes in and autobashes and rides their city coattails can jump ahead of someone who's attended multiple events and worked their butt off.

^That's true.
  • No points for CTF, everyone who participates gets some sort of goodie like a shirt that says "I played the field in CTF 431M.A." and a present for the winning city? Would that be better?

Politics
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Gwenith said:

No points for CTF, everyone who participates gets some sort of goodie like a shirt that says "I played the field in CTF 431M.A." and a present for the winning city? Would that be better?

"I participated in the 431 CTF and all I got IS THIS STUPID SHIRT"
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    GwenithAryanneHaven
  • Award a mobile wagon to the winning city of the CTF.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AryanneAarbrok
  • I just want to say that this has been an absolute blast, and kudos to the administrative team for coming up with it.

Have I stood absolutely any chance in any of the combat-oriented events?

Heeeeeell naw.

Did I have just as much fun frantically mashing my bashing aliases at the people attacking me during said events?

Absolutely.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    LimGwenithKonnornTeaniRasharTragerAarbrokValingarAryanne
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Could have had a look at Lust for during the CTF? It was a pain as movement with the flag caused EQ loss, so couldn't drop a monolith or spend time rejecting and so resulted in instapull. Maybe a thought for next time?
    If you can't reject while holding the flag, you should be able to. However, abduct is fairly similar too, in its annoyance, and it's even harder to counter since you can't find the person doing it. I think maybe make flag people immune to lust or abduct might be a good answer, but that might be a big nerf, I dunno.
    edited October 2014
    You can reject whilst holding the flag, but that means you're then standing still. If you're still in lust area you're just going to be lusted again, again and again, not moving. That's when the flag recapture ganksquad catches up to you and rolls you like a pizza.

But I think that abduct and lust should be switched off for CTF to completely level the playing field.
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Loved being able to participate in my very first CTF. It was fun!

AryanneIshinAlissandra
    Eh, if you can reject, it's not an instant drop. It's basically the same as someone laying traps repeatedly or use trip repeatedly or you proccing piety repeatedly to hold you still. That's where the rest of your team comes in - for example, I had a wonky thing going that would make me drop the flag if I tried to move while ensnared, so every single noose trap would make me drop it - my team came in as backup and Alissandra did a clutch snag of the flag while I kept Serrice hindered and unable to get it. I think that kind of gameplay is the core of the event.
    IshinAlissandraKonnorn
  • We've also changed how the scoring for the event works in response to
    some common feedback:
    * Instead of everybody on the winning cities getting first/second/third
    place points, the city as a whole will get the points instead.
    * You'll still get 1 point for joining the event.
    * You'll gain an extra 1 point if you personally capture a flag. (max 1)

So the maximum points an individual can get from the event is now 2.

This. <3 the Admin so much. A very nice compromise and response to feedback. Thank you!
    MoireanTeani
    No, it might not be an instant drop but it's also the only skill available in the CTF arena that can still summon an unwilling target across the entire length of the arena and with at least two Domination users per team you can stack that lust so that even if one person gets rejected the other is going to be able to yank before EQ is regained.

It's probably a moot point since these sorts of discussions usually are and it's up to the admin to decide what they feel is fair or not.
  • Just as a heads up incase the admin checks this before bugs - Bloodbath seems to be broken. It's not removing people who are 0 points from the arena like the help file suggests it should be doing.

Politics
  • Does monolithsigil prevent Lust here? If yes - that's all.
    TragerBenedictoIshinAarbrok
  • edited October 2014
    It prevents lust, but you're still wrong if you think it solves the problem in CTF.

Movement costs 1 second of equilibrium in CTF, if you are carrying a flag.
    Rejecting lust or dropping a monolith both require equilibrium.
    Using empress costs no eq if it fails, meaning it's spammable.

Put these three things together, and you realize that a single Indorani can shut down any movement on a flag permanently. All he needs to do is be in the same area as the flagholder, which isn't exactly hard. The only recourse to this would be to flame sigil and monolith every single room in the CTF arena before moving away the flag, with a half dozen monoliths each to make sure mushrooming them isn't easy.
    TragerBenedicto
  • You could assign a teammate to the flag holder to drop monoliths when the flag holder starts getting Lusted. I assume doppleganger Lust has a third person message, but they could also just announce it over the Web if not. It only shuts down movement on a flag if the flag holder is trying to run it solo.
    AarbrokMoireanValingarTrager
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    nah it's a real lame mechanic in this context, it was pretty gamebreaking for wars too.
    BenedictoMoireanValingarTrager
  • Radakail said:

You could assign a teammate to the flag holder to drop monoliths when the flag holder starts getting Lusted. I assume doppleganger Lust has a third person message, but they could also just announce it over the Web if not. It only shuts down movement on a flag if the flag holder is trying to run it solo.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Doing as you describe only protects against the initial lust. Which wasn't the problem in the first place. I'll explain.

Even if the flagholder is in a monolithed room and can't be pulled away, he still needs to reject the lust before moving (4s eq) or he will be gone the second he walks into the next room, because spamming empress will win the pingwar over a teammate dropping monolith on movement any time. The Indorani can reapply lust as fast as you can reject, so rejection isn't viable as a choice - you'd be stuck rejecting it for forever, even though you can't be moved while you're on mono. Lusts can also be stacked, so several Indorani can lust you at once.

Of course, said perfect teammates could monolith+flame all paths the flagholder might end up walking, but in this case, we're in the scenario I already mentioned in my post: countering the lust in CTF needs you to monolith absolutely everything with several flame sigil'd monoliths. This isn't a desirable scenario. It's very one sided, in fact, given that there is no similar ranged threat on lightside (and, in fact, things like Pilgrimage and Track didn't work in CTF arena, likely due to bugs).

CTF is all about moving a flag to your base in the middle of very chaotic situations. You're being attacked. Your team base is being raided. Your teammates are probably busy fighting their group off you. You might even have snuck off with their flag while the rest of your group and theirs was fighting. There isn't time to babysit anyone through lust spam.
    AshmerTrager
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    So I guess the last auto event just didn't happen?
  • Valingar said:

Radakail said:

You could assign a teammate to the flag holder to drop monoliths when the flag holder starts getting Lusted. I assume doppleganger Lust has a third person message, but they could also just announce it over the Web if not. It only shuts down movement on a flag if the flag holder is trying to run it solo.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Doing as you describe only protects against the initial lust. Which wasn't the problem in the first place. I'll explain.

Even if the flagholder is in a monolithed room and can't be pulled away, he still needs to reject the lust before moving (4s eq) or he will be gone the second he walks into the next room, because spamming empress will win the pingwar over a teammate dropping monolith on movement any time. The Indorani can reapply lust as fast as you can reject, so rejection isn't viable as a choice - you'd be stuck rejecting it for forever, even though you can't be moved while you're on mono. Lusts can also be stacked, so several Indorani can lust you at once.

Of course, said perfect teammates could monolith+flame all paths the flagholder might end up walking, but in this case, we're in the scenario I already mentioned in my post: countering the lust in CTF needs you to monolith absolutely everything with several flame sigil'd monoliths. This isn't a desirable scenario. It's very one sided, in fact, given that there is no similar ranged threat on lightside (and, in fact, things like Pilgrimage and Track didn't work in CTF arena, likely due to bugs).

CTF is all about moving a flag to your base in the middle of very chaotic situations. You're being attacked. Your team base is being raided. Your teammates are probably busy fighting their group off you. You might even have snuck off with their flag while the rest of your group and theirs was fighting. There isn't time to babysit anyone through lust spam.
    You wield a monolith sigil in your right hand.
    You hurl a monolith southwest.

Doing that with a teammate means you don't even need to reject until necessary and eliminates any ping war associated with the strategy. You don't even need a teammate for that, it just speeds it up. I wasn't aware rejecting costed four seconds of equilibroum, though. That is pretty ridiculous.