Obligatory post about current promotion

Comments

• Then how are you getting a higher than last time 4cr? Are you counting the other stuff like the style scrolls and voxes because you can't trade those in and nobody buys them.

In terms of pure value I'm just trying to get the numbers straight.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Custom scythe hunting scrolls please, more temp buffs to stats or essentially more xp gains etc. Perhaps remove bullseyes, grimstim and inks, increase the gold -very slightly- or introduce more tokens for other things than language.

This sort of change might go a long way towards helping.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• So would free giftbags like we had back in May.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Rowena said:

Then how are you getting a higher than last time 4cr? Are you counting the other stuff like the style scrolls and voxes because you can't trade those in and nobody buys them.

I would suspect that the average is running high right now because the sample size is monumentally small after two days compared to the entire month of May. I would expect it to inch down over the course of the month.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • Oleis said:

Rowena said:

Then how are you getting a higher than last time 4cr? Are you counting the other stuff like the style scrolls and voxes because you can't trade those in and nobody buys them.

I would suspect that the average is running high right now because the sample size is monumentally small after two days compared to the entire month of May. I would expect it to inch down over the course of the month.
    In terms of pure value that doesn't seem to be what you implied when you gave us those stastistics.

We're just trying to get the numbers straight here.
  • Oleis said:

For the sake of clarity

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure what the purpose of your snipe is here. I said "our target is 3, we're just under 4, and last month was high too."

I didn't say "It's still too high, we can't change anything!" In fact, I explicitly said we need more content (thought not necessarily pricier content) over the course of the month. The entire purpose of my numbers was to show that we needed a course correction, that we took it, and that we can predict it will be effective in the month of October. Period.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Rowena said:

This isn't true. From HELP GIFTBAGS:

== TRADEIN ==

Certain non-artifact items can also be traded in for a small amount of credits. The syntax for this
    is PROMO TRADEIN . Only items that bear you mark (i.e. you were the original owner) can be
    traded in.

These items can be traded in:
    Vox iterators 3 credits
    A refrigerative seal 3 credits
    An encephalous crystal 3 credits
    A technique scroll 5 credits
    Mephistoles
  • I will buy style scrolls. I will probably buy shards if the supply gets so high that the price is right. I'll be more than happy to pick up obsidian ink at a slightly reduced price. It feels like I'm the only person that wants this promotion, come my next paycheck.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• I really do like this promotion, but I must admit that I miss the free giftbags.

I wonder if the promotion will do better with or without the free giftbags. One of the nice things about the free giftbags was that they helped lower the giftbag chance regularly, thus providing more incentive to purchase credits with actual money. The free stuff was also a bonus.
  • Oleis said:

Gold, Edibles, Inks and ylem shards are valued at 0cr.

Could I recommend that grimstim pills, bulls eyes, phoenix hearts, chocolates be put in that list too? They've become devalued over time.

For chocolates, I think they might be more valuable if they do not have a decay. I know I ate most of mine obligingly, but would definitely love to have eaten them only when the situation called for it. At present, only mints are potentially worth anything on the market.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Re: Lim

Edibles were included in that list. I assumed that would include grimstim, bull's eyes, phoenix hearts, and chocolates.
  • Hmm, I'll take a second look at gift bags. I think it could also be easy to overlook the gold that we get from them, too. 
  • LimLim
    edited October 2014
    [ 100/100 | 100/99 | Sl: 100 Bl: 0 | En: 1 | 60.62% | Pose: ] [csdb eb lr] [eas ftr]unwrap giftbag#upturn giftbag#drop giftbag
    You tear apart the wrapping of your giftbag, eagerly looking forward to its contents.
    You turn a heavy iron-link giftbag upside down and give it a shake, emptying its contents into your
    hands.
    A stack of 10 ylemshards falls into your hands.
    You drop a heavy iron-link giftbag.
    [ 100/100 | 100/99 | Sl: 100 Bl: 0 | En: 1 | 60.62% | Pose: ] [csdb eb lr] [eas ftr]giftbags

^ If ylemshards are valued at 0 cr, is this right?

[ 100/100 | 100/100 | Sl: 100 Bl: 0 | En: 1 | 60.62% | Pose: ] [csdb eb lr] [eas ftr]unwrap giftbag#upturn giftbag#drop giftbag
    You tear apart the wrapping of your giftbag, eagerly looking forward to its contents.
    You turn a heavy iron-link giftbag upside down and give it a shake, emptying its contents into your
    hands.
    A stack of 10 obsidian inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 17 green inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 20 blue inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 14 gold inks falls into your hands.
    [ 100/100 | 100/99 | Sl: 100 Bl: 0 | En: 1 | 60.62% | Pose: ] [csdb eb lr] [eas ftr]i

hands.
    A stack of 5 obsidian inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 13 blue inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 15 gold inks falls into your hands.
    A stack of 12 yellow inks falls into your hands.

^ this ones too. Inks.

hands.
    A stack of 10 ylemshards falls into your hands.

hands.
    A stack of 17 ylemshards falls into your hands.

^ ylemshards.

-----

So that's 5/20 bags. The rest were about correct in terms of value though. Some around 2cr, some more.

I get that 0 cr bags may well be justified on the basis that on average, the other bags should give more, thus averaging a 3cr value overall. Though, I'm not sure if these 0 cr bags are the ones leaving a bad taste. It's human nature to pay attention to the bad stuff more than the good stuff. Might be a good idea to consider changing this if it's affecting the perception of giftbag value. Ultimately, it is the perception of the promo that induces people to buy, not the actual value.

My perception, at least, is unchanged here. The promo comes across as pretty meh, and I do feel cheated after opening all my bags.

Just my two cents!
  • The average is going to include people getting artifacts and such.

• Is there anything planned to include players who can't make an investment into giftbags?

One thing I've noticed about Aetolia that I liked that in recent months there was way to give a promotion to the players who can't afford to buy credits or had difficulties earning them IG to join in the money-making promotions. (Double XP Saturdays, Racetrack tickets, Great hunt and I forget the month before that one).

Politics
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Lim said:

So that's 5/20 bags. The rest were about correct in terms of value though. Some around 2cr, some more.

I get that 0 cr bags may well be justified on the basis that on average, the other bags should give more, thus averaging a 3cr value overall. Though, I'm not sure if these 0 cr bags are the ones leaving a bad taste. It's human nature to pay attention to the bad stuff more than the good stuff. Might be a good idea to consider changing this if it's affecting the perception of giftbag value.

My perception, at least, is unchanged here. The promo comes across as pretty meh, and I do feel cheated after opening all my bags.

Just my two cents!

I just want to point out that out of those 20 giftbags, you got 113 credits of pure tradein value. That's a 56% credit bonus to the 200cr purchase, which is larger than any straight sale we've done. Add another 18cr if you count the gold you got from it (valuing at 4500 per), and another 40cr if you count the two chalices you got, since I just changed it so those can be traded in.
    Gwenith said:

Is there anything planned to include players who can't make an investment into giftbags?

One thing I've noticed about Aetolia that I liked that in recent months there was way to give a promotion to the players who can't afford to buy credits or had difficulties earning them IG to join in the money-making promotions. (Double XP Saturdays, Racetrack tickets, Great hunt and I forget the month before that one).

We will, later this month. Hint: It's our 13th Anniversary this month.
    IshinAlissandraMephistoles
  • The promo has steadily got worse since it's inception.

I'd care a lot less if it wasn't for that.

It's like going into a supermarket to buy a bag of chips because you like the chips and seeing the packet get smaller and smaller and the price keep rising.
    Mephistoles
  • @Razmael‌

Oh, true enough. I forgot about the vials, chalics and crystals. I guess that was a pretty decent haul after all.
    Oleis
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    @Razmael‌ serving up truths.

xD
    IshinAlissandra
  • LimLim
    edited October 2014
    Okay hey, hey. So this thing about chalices being trade-in'able. From what I can gather, only chalices that are bound to you may be traded in. Giftbag chalices are not bound to you so that you can sell them(?)

Could we have a command to bind them to us, so that we can trade them in? Unfortunately the market isn't that active for us to be able to rid of unbound chalices easily. It's a bit odd that unbound chalices aren't at least the value of bound chalices. Would be nice to trade them in at will!
    Alissandra
  • edited October 2014
    I just want to point out Aetolia is part of a bigger company and these 'nerfs' are probably handed down from above. From what I've heard/seen players of Aetolia were pretty spoiled when it came to promotions. It's just now that they are being scaled back to come into line with other IRE games we the players are feeling the lose.
    Yes it sucks, but I have the feeling there is little Oleis and the other admin can really do about it other than the little wiggles they are doing to placate us.

Being in the service industry it sucks when people tell you over and over your product sucks and there's nothing you can do about it. To add one to Rowena's example : "It's like going into a supermarket to buy a bag of chips because you like the chips and seeing the packet get smaller and smaller and the price keep rising so you complain to the clerk." Clerk's got no control on how a company packages or charges for their chips, they just serve you.

Be nice to clerks, they have bosses as well and still do the best to serve you with a smile on their faces. One misaimed comment can turn a good day into a shitfest for them.

Politics
    IshinCiarelleTeaniAlissandraAarbrokHavenArbreRowenaMephistoles
  • Side note... Yay 13th anniversary! Anniversaries are Always fun. :D

IshinGwenithAlissandra
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Moving this here, since it makes more sense to stick the idea in the thread concerning the promotion.
    Teani said:

Perhaps some quest where the use of bullseyes and hearts are required as payment for special deals to make them worth something more than they are right now? For example, they could be used as a bribe to put the count of beasts you fight against in that new fancy place at the lower range as opposed to random. Or you could use them to bribe your way into a special shop with rare gems, a small hidden hunting ground or a secret gaming parlor?

Either that or create a new sort of token you can put in those bags that people can collect and use for these things, where different things require different amounts of tokens.

Maybe just add some new kind of collectible thing for those hoarders out there who have to have full sets of things, like Notable Mob cards or whatever. It doesn't really give anyone an edge, but it's something new for people to chat about and perhaps trade. Make them all just as rare as the other so that someone doesn't end up with eleventyone of one kind and nothing of the others, then add new possible cards whenever.

Everything doesn't -have- to give an edge to hunting/fighting, right?

Amberlea
  • @Razmael Would it be possible to get an announce post with what anniversary celebrations are in store? My first anniversary so I don't know what to expect, but I feel like I don't want to miss anything. Or, put it on Twitter! Would hate to miss something because I didn't know about it! 

Also... I do not have an opinion on the promo. Looks pretty standard and would like to find a way to get some, despite the negative review they are getting. There. My post is on topic. 
    Gwenith
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    13th anniversary and Halloween, so spooky.
    RowenaArekaIshinArbreMephistoles
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    This is nice. Much better with ideas being pumped out so that the Admin can pick and choose what to use.

• I vote for old chest items.

Then we could buy each other lovely mirrors for Aetolia's anniversary.
    AarbrokAshmerIshin
  • Ooh, I love the temporary illusion thingy. I always want that ability no matter what class I'm playing, but damn, it's expensive.