Obligatory post about current promotion

The minor giftbag prize chance is at 1/632

^ - what's with this? Didn't it start at 400 when we had this a few months back and that was nerfed from the time before.

In addition there is no free giftbag claim to help the number go down at all and help balance out all of the giftbags containing nothing but ylemshards.

Comments

• Did you know:
    It starts at 1/800.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited October 2014
    Just Ylem shards and just inks makes me think giftbags got a pretty major downgrade. Very unappealing.
    ArekaAarbrok
  • Dude.

I shall never require ink again.

Or ylemshards.

(Wat to do with ylemshards. Free icons for everybody. :p)

On a side note, giftbags are alright if you're bashing. They're affordable for the average player and you have a decent chance to get chocolates and pills and chalices. We endgame players don't like them, but heck, I bought quite a few to help an alt level up. If anything I'd like to see iterators and scrolls go away, but what sort of midrange neatness do you replace them with? I dunno.

Aside from going for the minor prize when the chance gets low and for bashy alts, I don't see any need for them. Buuut, there are giftbags laying around everywhere. So they're selling. :p

Or maybe those are mine. Whoops. Fine me!

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'm playing an alt right now and the giftbags are okay, not great. Inks are meh as are shards, chalices chocolates are good, but I'm never pumped for class change crystals.
  • Class change crystals you used to be able to trade in for 5 credits during the last promo. Can't seem to do that now.

Voxes and style scrolls are already so flooded that everyone that wants one has one and they don't carry much value any more.

It just feels very lackluster compared to what we've seen in the past.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Shards can be usedt o buy special pets in Delve, if memory serves.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Yeah I got 20 full of inks, shards, iterators, scrolls and then a couple with gold or grimstims/hearts/eyes. I was bit like "Meh".
    Areka
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I finally get to be that sarcastic voice that says 'o noes, free stuff'.

How I've longed for this.
    ArekaAarbrok
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited October 2014
    They're not free since you're paying for the giftbags?

Edit: To clarify, you're paying for the giftbags and often times not even getting a single credit's worth of return on the gamble (such as with hearts and things).
    I'm betting she's looking at is as "I'm buying credits and receiving free giftbags" not "I'm buying giftbags." In my case I was using bound credits. Totes not worth it that way.
    ArekaKonnornMoirean
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Um, actually, I think you are paying for the CREDITS and the giftbags themselves are a free gift that comes with the purchases.

Except those of us paying 15 credits a pop.
    KonnornJensenSolariaMoirean
    O noes, free stuff.

:)
    ArekaAarbrokTeaniIshinJensenSolariaTrager
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited October 2014
    All this aside...Not a person is making you buy the giftbags.

Reasons why I am not buying them, I dont need inks, ylemshards, or phoenix hearts.
    (Problem solved)

EDIT: That and I am poor, I cant even afford a 10 dollar lesson package.
    TeaniMephistoles
  • My first giftbag had a language token. So I am totally happy!
    ArekaSolaria
    Alexina said:

O noes, free stuff.

:)

more like bai bai 15 bound credits, hello inks? =/=
    ArekaRiluo
    Still your choice to gamble with the bound credits, so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If you buy them on site it's a free gift.

A gamble implies there's some odds of getting more than your investment. I used up a little more than 200 credits to get them and I def did not receive even half that in value back. It's very meh, very very very meh
    RowenaIshin
    And we're allowed and valid in discussing and having issues with the ratios of the return without forever having to battle the 'suck it up' police. This isn't Vegas.

The idea is to encourage spending money, which helps the economy of the game and its guilds as well as support the company that makes the game we all enjoy. That is the purpose of incentives. When buying giftbags, (and I do mean buying with credits), when you take a 50,000g+ loss for over 90% of the gamble, there's an issue, as that then reflects with what we do with our real money (which helps pay for our fab producers and so on).

The trollish 'lol whining at free stuff' and 'well no one told you you had to pay for things even though that is the idea of the promotion' doesn't do anything but create bad feelings and divides and isn't productive beyond tottering about on a high horse (which yes, I do know that high horses are rather tempting, the view is often superior to being on the ground, even if you don't always see what you're stepping in).

Anyway. Some new style scrolls would be nice, or rotating them by promo. I really like my growing collection. Maybe could add a token for a custom scroll to the artie list? That would be pretty neat.

BenedictoAlissandraRowenaMoirean
    Instead of complaining, come up with ideas on what to do about it. The only things I've seen so far (aside from the things recently added by @Areka) have been 'Remove these things because they're worthless' and 'Add something more fun' without anything more constructive and that doesn't really solve the problem.

I admit I didn't consider the 15 cr ingame purchases. My thoughts went straight to the giftbags you get for free when you buy credits, and those -are- free. And a gamble never guarantees you walk away with what you invested or more. It's a significant risk with a -potential- gain. Granted, in this case the chance for a gain is very slim.

Not knowing a solution doesn't mean you don't recognize a problem. This is a problem, and had I known of the poor turnout beforehand, I wouldn't have bought those giftbags with my bound credits.
    ArekaRowenaMoirean
    You -do- realize that if the average return per giftbag purchased with 15 credits was higher than 15 credits, we'd essentially have an infinite credits machine here?
    It would be nice if the average return per giftbag purchased with 15cr amounted to more than the cost of 1cr.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited October 2014
    For the sake of clarity, the current average for this month is just under 4cr. The average for the May giftbag promo was about 3.5.

We're actually over the IRE standard of 3cr.

This isn't to suggest that your complaints are unwarranted -- there's a definite need for some new content. But in terms of pure VALUE, I wanted to make sure we had our numbers straight.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Areka
    Thank you for that, Oleis. It helps with perspective and gauging.
  • How when the chance for a giveaway is lower? Do the regular bags just have a higher chance of giving something decent?

How do you work that out as well, like what are you pricing ylemshards at? To me they're worthless and I have over a hundred of them.
    Gold, Edibles, Inks and ylem shards are valued at 0cr.

I don't know what you mean about the chance of a giveaway.
    [---]
  • Oleis said:

Gold, Edibles, Inks and ylem shards are valued at 0cr.

I don't know what you mean about the chance of a giveaway.

The minor prize in the giftbag thing, it says 1 / 800 when it rests. Last time it was 1 / 400.
    You're correct, my mistake. It changed from 500 to 800 this month (most likely to correct that higher-than-required average we had in May).
    [---]
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited October 2014
    opps double

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."