I Made A Thing

Comments

• Ohhh.. All of ours haven't had a problem like that but they all had claws like tiny little daggers.

Politics
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Started on a second one, since the first one turned out so well. After first sitting with general outlining:

AlissandraMoireanIshinKaleighEmelle
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    You'd probably have to be really careful with what colour you used and where, but it might be really striking if you did that and then had, like, coloured blossoms or something in a small patch on the tree.

I'm still doing tests for the coffee shop. Getting quite fond of this little guy!

TeaniKonnornIshinMoireanEmelle
  • @Eleanor he is adorable!

Teani
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I like both. I'm so jelly of you artsy folks.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    TeaniAlissandraEmelle
  • I really do love that little elephante guy. Have you named him?

Politics
    He doesn't have a name, no. The guy at the coffee shop wanted a 'guardian' type character, and kept pointing at my drawings of Akary saying "STUFF LIKE THAT" so I figured he wanted something anthropomorphic and that's what fell out. So I guess 'the coffee guardian' is what I think of him as.

• Huffarey

Politics
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Cuppakary.
    Volka
    edited October 2014

When you give me an excuse to bake, I kind of lose my mind a bit.

Edit: Bonus round, the cake I made the previous time it was my faculty's turn for morning tea as well:

EmelleMarienaAryanneTeaniMoireanAreka
  • Good god, I've seen that on the internet but I never believed a human could make it.

WHY ARE YOU A CAKE WIZARD.

RiluoMarienaGwenithAryanne
  • @Eleanor‌ : suggest a cool easy design for a novice to try and make?

Politics
  • .. how does it do that? How does she make that? Does she have Cabalist secret sorcery irl?
    Aarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Rashar said:

.. how does it do that? How does she make that? Does she have Cabalist secret sorcery irl?

The Conduit does not share secrets, for there is no secret.
    OooOooOOoOoOooo.

Ive always heard of Eleanors cakes though, her craftiness is something to awe. I still have my shrinky dink Aarbrok charm on my phone holder.
  • KaleighKaleigh The Inn
    edited October 2014
    The rainbow cake is AMAZINGGGG. Twas in the Kraft cooking book a while back. :)

That checkerboard one has always amazed me though! Looks good @Eleanor‌!!
    @Gwenith: Actually the rainbow cake is super fkn easy, as long as you can bake a cake in a pan (which if you are attempting a cake of any sort you are going to need!). So that one's probably my recommendation! It's just a matter of dividing your mix (I did a double batch because the cake needed to be enormous) into six portions and colouring the dickens out of them with food dye. Then you bake 'em individually and stack 'em when they're all cool!

Teani
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Do you put a layer of frosting or anything in between the layers or do you just stack them dry?

edited October 2014
    Oh, yeah, frosting or cream. Have to be really patient and wait till they're cool to stack them or that goes poorly. Then you do the crumb layer of frosting, which you can usually see the colours through, then you do the second, outer layer.

Edit: There's apricot jam between the layers of the checkerboard, which is something you could probably do to the rainbow if you didn't want the white striped effect in between.

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I sometimes get in the mood to make jewelry. These are all bracelets. Sometimes I get into the mood to paint. There's also a pumpkin sign for Halloween.

AryanneXeniaTeaniEmelleNolaCiarelleMoireanKaleigh
    Ooooh, that one with the leaf and the lemniscate links really talks to me. They're all so cute! Do you sell them or use 'em as gifts or what?

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Eleanor Mostly I just wear them. I haven't been confident enough in my materials (questionable metals, though the purple wire on the leaf and on the just-links one is a coated copper) to try to sell them. I do give them to people too!

• Just finished earrings with these black garnets I had laying around from some earlier project.

I started wrapping big beads in rings recently, and I've got a bit obsessed with it, so I made a necklace too. These beads are black glass, not garnets, although in the bad light of my kitchen they look mostly the same.

MarienaTrigruParkerEmelleGwenithTeaniAryanneMoirean
  • @Eleanor‌ ever think of using a white cake mix and using Jello as the colour instead of food dye??
    Same results, and a fruity flavour! :D

@Mariena‌ the bracelets look amazing! Very pretty.

@Elie‌ is that like chainmail links or just plain metal hoops? Either way, it looks really cool. How'd you get the glass to stay wrapped up like that?
    far as I can make out, American 'jello' is quite a bit more concentrated than our jelly crystals. I did a recipe that used such for colour and flavour and it came out tasty enough but very, very pale. so not so much a thing, and also using the jelly would require a bit of re-jiggering of component amounts, I think. Which is a shame, because it could be a lot of fun if it worked like it seems to on the blogosphere.

• edited November 2014
    @Kaleigh‌, they're chainmail links - these are anodized aluminum, so they're really light. I probably wouldn't use anything heavier for earrings, especially with how big the beads are.

Getting the beads to stay is a lot easier than it would seem - they're too big to fit out the larger rings once the smaller ones are tightening the aperture, as it were. There's a big one on each side, and then a simple weave connecting them. Surprisingly easy to put together. If you like them, you are welcome to them!

Crafty things!

I had been thinking about putting crochet on notebooks, so I tried it out on an old one I had lying around. It's pretty cute!

It has been ages since I've done paper mache! They're gonna be tiny birdies.

Moirean
  • Oh, @Eleanor‌, that's awesome. I thought it was a passport, and had a moment of wondering how much creativity they'd permit on a passport before they refused to accept it...

Aryanne
    Yeah I did like the notebook because of that! But considering all the chips and stuff in passports these days I don't think you could get away with any embellishment. But you could make a cute cover!

Today, I decided to learn to do cross stitch.

Warning: Contains strong language.

GwenithXeniaEmelleElieKaleighMoireanHadrakAryanne