City Events/Radiant City Quests

BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
edited September 2014 in Idea Box
So, I was talking through some stuff with a group of fellow players and we discussed an idea to make cities more interesting (kudos to @Kerryn and @Areka).

At the minute any city activity is player (raiding/yleming) or admin (custom events) driven. However we have nothing in the form of mechanics that provides for activity within the cities, that provides a platform for rewards or to make life more exciting. We discussed things for Enorian and so my examples will be relevant to Enorian, but they can obviously be extrapolated to the other orgs.

To prevent it from becoming just another mundane, dry mechanic due to repetition they would only trigger once a RL month or IG year (I would say whichever is longer) when there is a prerequisite number of citizens logged in (maybe 5+?). At this time an event is randomly selected from a range of different events (3 to begin with, though more could be added later as designed by admin/CL's). They would involve a set of objectives to be accomplished by citizens to achieve a final goal. The three I came up with for Enorian were;

-Pirates raiding the bay.
-Xaanhal setting up a raiding camp outside the city with intent to invade.
-Slavers attacking one of the allied villages in an attempt to carry off citizens.

An example of the objectives would be;

- An alarm goes up notifying the city that a fleet of pirate vessels have been spotted on the Beryl sea heading towards Enorian.
- Citizens must make their way to the lighthouse where catapults/scorpions have been set up and begin destroying the encroaching fleet. (There will always be a minimum number of ships that get through as this then leads into the next objective.)
- The remaining ships land/anchor within the bay and the pirate mobs (which would be larger in number if a larger number of ships make it) begin to work their way towards the Enorian Warehouse (commodities shop) in an attempt to make off with the goodies. Citizens have to try and bash the pirate mobs before they reach the warehouse or a certain amount of comms are lost/stolen. Citizens have until the pirates make it back to their ships and sail off to kill the remaining mobs to recover the comms otherwise they're lost.
- Final scene could be if the pirate mobs are defeated before they can return to their ships then the citizens have to go and face the Pirate Admiral. The person who lands the killing blow gets a nice shout-out across the city (similar to the Yaotl/Kroz shout but only city-wide/on CT).

I think this would give an interesting dynamic to the different orgs that doesn't rely on stimuli from an admin or player that can provide an interesting event for citizens as opposed to the usual humdrum bashing/lesser's/forging or whatever.

Each city has various geographical and cultural differences that would make for a unique set of events for each city. An example for each;

-Duiran could have necromancers planning to exterminate or a threat to dendarra.
-Spines could have trouble in Southern Tundra from escaped malformed beasts from Tornos Halls that have been further mutated with a massive bad guy at the end
-Bloodloch could a rebellion of former thralls or slaves that need to be put down.

Thoughts?
ArekaTozZsadistNolaTeaniXeniaAryanneAarbrokCiarelleSarkisAmbivalenceEmelle

Comments

• I am all for this.

I hope they steal all your web tattoos, too!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

BenedictoXeniaAryanne
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Toz said:

I hope they steal all your web tattoos, too!

And your homing pigeons!

Toz
  • I like this idea. Would also allow alot more player interaction and involvement.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

AryanneBenedicto
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Radient quests in Aet? Yes, please.
    Irae
  • I like this by a lot!

Aarbrok
  • Agree!
    It would definitely boost organizational morale!
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited September 2014
    I don't think that they'd need to be on such a large scale necessarily either. In between these bigger quests could be more frequent, smaller quests. An example of this could be a merchant transporting pigs/chickens/cats/unicorns into Enorian when his cart overturns/crate falls off and the animals make a bid for freedom, scattering around the city. Job is to HERD them (which would add them to entourage) back to the merchant for a reward. The creatures could be as placid as you like (for the young folk/ noobs) or they could be more feisty and put up a fight (obviously depending on the animal.)
    AryanneTeani
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited September 2014
    Benedicto said:

...An example of this could be a merchant transporting pigs giant rats/chickens slimes/cats mudcrabs/unicorns MUDCRABS into Enorian when his cart overturns/crate falls off and the animals make a bid for freedom, scattering around the city. Job is to HERD them (which would add them to entourage) back to the merchant for a reward the Fighter's Guild. The creatures could be as placid as you like (for the young folk/ noobs) or they could be more feisty and put up a fight (obviously depending on the animal (King Mudcrab))

BenedictoAarbrok
  • I like both ideas. I especially like the second one because it gives a way for newbies or people who are totally inept in combat (me) to participate.

Aryanne