Disagreement: Mhun, Orc and Council

ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
edited August 2014 in Roleplay Logs
In which we begin with an attempt at salvaging peace and end with restrained throttling and stubbornness. Politics are strained in the Sirroccians. This log precedes the latest batch of public posts.

Edit: Cleared up some parts of the log. Summary: There was a debate within the city Council as to where our responsibility lines lie, and Areka struggles with her investment with the Orcs.

Darxa, the Orc bartender paces in from the southeast.

You smile at Darxa, the Orc bartender.

You say, in Orc, "Hello Darxa. How are you?"

The Beacon of Enorian glows brightly from within the Temple District.

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "Well. Wish I were here on better business."

Frowning, you say, in Orc, "What is wrong?"

Darxa, the Orc bartender hesitates, glancing aside. Her eyes, when they rise, go not to Areka, but Taruk.

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "Your sister. Who married the Siroccian man. ...She's dead."

Taruk, an orc Templar's face flattens, suddenly - he looks away after a moment.

Quietly, Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "Her husband is dead. Their children are dead. Moghedu killed them. I'm sorry."

You have emoted: Areka's frown lines deepen, scoring her face with concern as she turns her shoulders to look at Taruk. "They said they would not if left alone." The woman says, a subtle tremble of fury wavering on her words.

Her own voice wavering, Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "They were hunting. Hunting to become Tekal. No reason more or less. They didn't even offer the corpses. They left them to lie and rot outside the caves."

Taruk, an orc Templar's face has gone pale. Forcefully, he whirls, swinging his axe into the wall with a loud THUD, and leaves it there, quivering.

Softly, you say, in Orc, "They learn from the example we set - we as cities - for poorly."

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "What has happened to their leader? The one who said there would be no killing? What is this new Priesthood? What are they?"

You say, in Orc, "Each of your peoples have been hunted for the sake of strength. I am..most...most," Her words waver here with an exhale of thick, cloying black smoke. "Most disappointed that this is what they have learned."

You say, in Orc, "I do not know. I will go, and stand in their doorway until I find out, if need be."

You say to Taruk, an orc Templar, in Orc, "What may we do for your family?"

You say to Darxa, the Orc bartender, in Orc, "Are the bodies still there? Are there rights we may do?"

Softly, Taruk, an orc Templar says, "Where are they?"

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "They are in the Temple of Truth. They lie upon the altar, awaiting our rites."

Darxa, the Orc bartender reaches out, squeezing Taruk's hand, frowning gravely.

Taruk, an orc Templar says, in Orc, "Pentarch. I wish to go to the rites."

You nod your head emphatically.

You say to Taruk, an orc Templar, in Orc, "Go to them. I am going to Moghedu. We had had an agreement and that has been broken and I will not just sit silently."

Taruk, an orc Templar gives you a respectful salute.

You give the world a smart salute.

Taruk, an orc soldier stomps away to the southeast with a guttural snort.

Darxa, the Orc bartender nods her head at you.

Darxa, the Orc bartender paces away southeastward.

-- In which Areka walks to Moghedu --

Great Rock Gate. Moghedu.
A heavy barricade bars the way to the north.

A Mhun disciple slips in from the north.

You cease to wield a resilient braced-handle warhammer in your hands, securing it conveniently on your weaponbelt.

Eleven crossbows rise, pointed at you. Eleven safety catches are raised with soft, minute clicks. Eleven bolts point at your head.

You have emoted: Areka briskly stands at attention and raises a hand in formal salute, before adopting a stiff at-ease. "Is the Great Mhunna here? I seek counsel. She guided me once before, and I have need of her advice."

Silence. The Mhun disciples are immobile.

Layentesh, the High Priestess strides in from the north.
Layentesh wears an impressive set of gleaming plate armor that encases her head to toe, inscribed with runes from the ancient language of her people. Her curly black hair is bound back in a neat bun, leaving her sweeping, angular features exposed. Besides a round buckler shield and heavy, mechanical crossbow slung across her back, she wields an ornate pickaxe, sharpened to a tip and balanced for war, rather than work. The ornamentation upon her clothing, armor, and equipment reveals her high status within Mhun society.

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu carries herself stiffly and curtly, her dark eyes rising up to take in you. Despite the clear disparity of height and girth, she seems unperturbed - only pursing her lips in a faint, cold smile. One of her hands, bedecked in rings, slices down through the air. On her command, the crossbows lower.

You have emoted: Immobile herself given the training of arrows, Areka offers Layentesh an inclination of her head, slow and without threat to the movement. As the bows lower, the Azudim's posture releases some of its tension, though none of its wariness. "Greetings, though I am not certain how to address you, as I am not familiar with your face." She slowly says. "I am Knight Morrog, of the Templar."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "Hail, outsider Knight Morrog. We know of you. We are Layentesh, High Priestess and Voice to the Great Mhunna Nesventesh, the Seven Great Spirits, and the Earth Mother from whose womb we, the great race of the Mhun, were birthed. We will grant you an audience."

A frown drawing across her face, you say, "My apologies, I am unfamiliar with these formalities. Will the Great Mhunna Nesventesh," She speaks slowly here to be certain of her pronunciation, "Not speak directly? I know I am ignorant in ways of your culture and what duties or strains she may be consumed with."

Coldly, Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "The Great Mhunna cannot concern herself with the matters of heretic outsiders. What business brings you before the gates of our ancestors?"

You say, "When we helped with the relocation of Moghedu, the Great Mhunna agreed to peace-terms. An ambassador would come to Enorian, and there would be no hostile actions against the Orcs in the mountains and they would take none against Moghedu - both peoples would allow the other to exist and leave them alone. This has been transgressed upon, and in an age where we have greater evils to fight, I would rather understand the situation and attempt at resolution without more bloodshed than to assume willful breaking of this accord."

You feel Renarin extending his protection to you.

You tell Renarin, "Wait."

Voice lilting on feathery wafts of air, Renarin tells you, "Waiting."

You tell Renarin, "I do not wish them to feel I am bringing in reinforcements."

Angling her head toward a distant scream, Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "We refuse to acknowledge the promises of a previous government. Matters have since changed and we are not prepared to negotiate at length with the Cities."

You say, "Is the Great Mhunna no longer part of the government?"

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "Matters have since changed. The will of the Great Mhunna, likewise. It is not your business, outsider. We are no longer bound by those promises."

Voice lilting on feathery wafts of air, Renarin tells you, "Aye, can you introduce me slowly?"

Thick strands of twinkling starlight drape Renarin as he arrives from the northeast.

Renarin's night-shrouded eyes turn to the northeast as he leaves.

Eleven crossbows rise, pointing northeast.

Voice lilting on feathery wafts of air, Renarin tells you, "The landmark brings me right into the gate, pardon."

You say, "Renarin apologizes, the landmark brings him to the gates and he wished only to be of assistance if he could, having been involved previously."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "Yes. We shot him through the head thrice. Achrentesh believes that he made wonderful target practice. He gained two circles."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu pats a Mhun disciple in a friendly manner.

You say, "I understand that there was conflict with the shrines and trespass into your grounds. It is unfortunate that terms have changed. If you find yourselves ready for negotiations, please let me know. Please understand that the breaking of terms likewise frees from status of withholding arms. If aggressions are raised, we will defend, as is our duty."

You give the world a smart salute.

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "We must defend ourselves as well. Or are the Mhun, as always, to be denied that right?"

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu raises an eyebrow at you.

You say, "No, you must defend yourselves. You have a right to live and flourish."

You say, "Though defending yourselves is not the same thing as hunting your neighbors."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "Your presence here and your criticism of my people and my city speak to another opinion. The Orcs have aggressed against us. They attacked our scouts."

You say, "It was agreed that there would be no scouts in their homes."

You say, "In their tunnels."

You say, "If terms changed and the Orcs not informed, yes, they would feel that they are defending themselves."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu pauses, shakes her head, and then smirks.

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "When was this agreed, outsider?"

You say, "Within three months of Moghedu's relocation."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "Well. It would seem that your Orcs must learn to share. These are our mountains now, as well, and if the Orcs will not recognize our right to exist and persist in attacking us, there will be more dead Orcs. We regret the death of the children - they got in the way."

You say, "The mountains are also theirs, or are you claiming full ownership and they simply have guest-right?"

You say, "If you invade their homes, they have every right to defend."

You say, "Just as if they were sending scouts past this gate."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "You yourself just said that we have a right to exist and flourish. We are on this point agreed."

You say, "Defending yourselves is not the same thing as invading and hunting your neighbors."

You say, "Especially against a previous peace agreement."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "A peace agreement that the Orcs defied by attacking our scouts."

You say, "A peace agreement that YOU defied when you invaded their homes."

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "It is not our fault we are here. There is nothing to do to change it now. Moghedu has been shifted. We are here. It is the Orcs that must accept it. All their hatred and denial will not topple this mountain. Nothing yet has toppled us. If they want to try, their blood is on their own heads."

You say, "They accepted under the terms that you would leave them alone, and they you."

You say, "You did not leave them alone."

You say, "Do you take no responsibility for the trespass?"

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "We deny that trespass ever occurred, outsider. Your biases are evident. You, like many other outsiders, loathe the Mhun."

You say, "I do not loathe the Mhun."

You say, "I do not understand the Mhun, it is true, but I do not loathe. What I loathe is Undeath, and Artifice, and Corruption."

You say, "Do you state then that the Mhun have free-right to investigate and cross the thresholds of Orcish homes?"

Layentesh, High Priestess of Moghedu says, "What are these words to us? These are outsider concerns. We only have one word. Mhun. We do not care about your Light, your Darkness. We do not care about Truth, or Artifice. We only care about the Mhun, and may the Orcs burn if they attack us again."

Resigned, you say, "Understood. I will see myself out."

-- In which Areka returns to the city and seeks out Darxa in Damariel's Temple --

Altar of Truth. Enorian.
Glowing with divine power, a large golden plaque hangs upon the northern wall. A marble altar, radiating a rosy hue, stands in the center of the chamber. Standing loosely in stance, a Daru firebrand is constantly scanning her surroundings. Eyes watching his surroundings closely, an imposing Luminary stands guard here. Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. A female orc lies slain on the ground here. There are 2 corpses of a juvenile orc here. A male orc lies here dead. Taruk, an orc soldier is here, his axe resting over his shoulder. Darxa, the Orc bartender is here.
You see a single exit leading east.

You grunt noncommittally.

You have emoted: Areka beckons to Darxa with a hand, lingering along the temple's threshold.

Taruk, an orc Templar is bent over the corpses - chanting, swaying, and weeping as a stick of incense burns in his hands.

Darxa, the Orc bartender turns away, patting Taruk gently on the shoulder as she moves to join you.

Darxa, the Orc bartender begins to follow you.

-- In which they step out into the Temple Proper --

The Temple of Truth. Enorian.
Hayim, Priest of the Unbound stands here, a broom in hand. A perfectly pristine mirror set within its palm, an enormous marble hand rises from the ground here.

Stepping just outside of the altar's space, you say, "Things have indeed changed."

Darxa, the Orc bartender narrows her eyes to thin slits.

Her voice sounding in a low, reverent hush, you say, "I do not know what has happened to the Great Mhunna. Their priest says she is the voice of the Mhunna, however this is a drastically different approach to what Nesventesh first spoke of and the woman we worked with. The Mhun care for nothing but the Mhun. They claim that it was the Orcs who broke the peace accord for killing scouts, and claim there was no trespass, but would not answer the question directly for if they felt that they had rights to trespass into Orcish homes. That the Orcs must learn to share, which they have."

You say, "I worry that something has befallen Nesventesh, or else she has become corrupted by something, for their staunch claims that she will no longer speak with 'outsiders'."

Hayim, Priest of the Unbound stares implacably at you.

You say, "It is not safe any longer for the Orcs in the mountains."

Softly, Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "There cannot be not room for all of them here in the City."

You say, "The Mhun state they care not for Light or Darkness or Shadow or anything else we bother ourselves with, only them, their right to flourish."

You say to Darxa, the Orc bartender, "We can take some in the Hall, and I can take some into the village as needed. With their supplies and not knowing what other strengths the Mhun have at their disposal, an offensive is ill-advised at this present time, until we have more information."

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "That is because the Mhun are godless, violent murderers of children. They have not changed."

You have emoted: Areka simply bobs her head, electing to not elaborate upon any other words said in that regard.

"I will tell them," Darxa, the Orc bartender murmurs, "That they will have refuge with you, if you will take them in."

You say, "I will take them, though they will be sanction to our laws in regards to safety. If they will comply, I will take them without reservation."

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "What are these laws?"

You say, "No murder, no thieving, respect space."

Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "Common sense, then."

Turning her head to gaze back westward, Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "I should go back into him. His wife and children are too busy working to come, yet. He needs a friendly face."

You say to Darxa, the Orc bartender, "If there is more I can do, please tell me."

You say, "I and the guild are available in whatever capacity we can be."

Softly, Darxa, the Orc bartender says, in Orc, "We will let you know. I must figure out a public post to address to the Siroccians."

Darxa, the Orc bartender gives you a tight hug.

Darxa, the Orc bartender says to you, in Orc, "You have always been a friend to the children of Dun."

You say, "We are Cousins, yes? We must help blood when and where we can, especially when blood seeks Life."

Darxa, the Orc bartender nods her head at you.

Darxa, the Orc bartender paces away westward.

You have emoted: Areka releases a slow, sooty breath, shoulders slumping as soon as Darxa departs.

Hayim, Priest of the Unbound says, "Sounds like trouble, don't it?"

The posts:

PUBLIC NEWS #5716
Date: 8/7/2014 at 0:14
To : Everyone
Subj: Orcs of the Siroccians

The mountains are no longer safe for you. The Mhun have said that they do not care about you, or your welfare, or your right to your land. They intend to kill you and take your caves and mine for every bit of land they can lay hands on. Go to Morrog's village, as soon as you can, before more of you die.

Penned by my hand on the 20th of Lleian, in the year 426 MA.

PUBLIC NEWS #5717
Date: 8/7/2014 at 0:21
To : Everyone
Subj: Orcs of the Siroccians

The Priesthood of Moghedu announces no recognition of an Orcish right to the Siroccians, by way of the reasoning that there is no Orcish city in the Siroccians - no Orcish ruler - no Orcish civilization or culture worthy of note.

The City of Moghedu, which has laid claim to the Siroccian mountains, is the sole authority in the region. A City cannot trespass upon its own property, and it cannot negotiate with a people who have no representative, particularly when those people attack the City's scouts and then allow their children to come between the murderers and Mhun crossbows.

Is this the sign of a kind, civilized people? No. It is the behavior of animals and brutes.

If you attack us again, Orcs of the Siroccians, you will burn. The mountains belong to us, and you remain within them because we show you compassion that was never shown to us.

Entesh, untesh.

Penned by my hand on the 20th of Lleian, in the year 426 MA.
AryanneMoirean

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    This was such a cool log to read. Enorian's response is really interesting and I was pretty fascinated watching the debate. Each side really does have good points, and I found myself agreeing with Daskalos and Rashar - were I in their shoes, without really knowing what all is going on internally with Moghedu, I'd totally be like, "We have to look to our own first."

I debated posting my own insight into stuff as maybe it's a bit spoilery, but here it is, to give an alternative sort of view into the conflict:
    http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/1490/yoohooo-mogheeeduuu
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I have a part 2 with Reka being taken to task to post after this. Taking a break from cleaning (CMUD logged with ansii/html stuff so this one took a while to clean up ;_;). It's providing some really interesting development for Areka, on top of the politics.

I find the debates of ideology/purpose interesting, I feel they really colour some of the cultural complexity of Enorian beyond just 'Light light light light light'.
    edited August 2014
    Charbal's HTML logger lets you translate that ansi log into a pretty color one super easy: http://www.top-onlinegames.com/mud_clients_resources.html

Nogfx also will automatically translate color code: http://nogfx.org/

Never edit that by hand, that's insanely tedious. Tools!
    Will those just get rid of the stupid html stuff? I don't want the colour, just the content.
  • I know it can be a complete pain in the ass to RP political/social discontent - it sounds fun on paper but rarely works out that way! Let me just say you guys (and everyone else, for that matter) are handling this very well. There's been a lot of rich character development coming out of this event.

i am rapture coder
    Trager
  • I'm not going to lie.. I don't really agree with posting a conversation had on the city leader channel into a RP log. Especially not without at least clearing it with everyone involved. A bit too much silliness going on around here for all that.

That being said, the rest of that was pretty awesome. Areka and those critters, man. Stubborn ass troll woman!
    I am sorry Rashar, I didn't even think about that. Just that it's a lead-in to another log I'm prepping and thought it was some interesting insight into a reoccurring friction with Areka and Enorian.

I'll clean that out.
  • No need, really. Done's done, I just felt like that needed saying. Everybody's already seen this one, and it's relatively harmless anyway.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited August 2014
    My biggest thing is everyone hates the protected areas, so I'm sort of against expanding them. World Police Enorian just can't become a thing, for far too many reasons. Also, damn you Rashar, you got me edited out of an RP log. DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE THESE ARE?!

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

SolariaTragerRashar
    Areka said:

Will those just get rid of the stupid html stuff? I don't want the colour, just the content.

They will make a new version (.html) of of the log that's colorful (ie interpret the ansi codes). You then open it in something like chrome. You can then just copy the body and paste it into a text file and it'll be plain text.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I am liking this series of mini events with the exception of a few idiots springing up. I will be happy to see what comes next, although my attempts at getting certain factions to "speak" to Bloodloch is falling short.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Ishin
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2014
    I am still enjoying these events as they are unfolding and whilst I am all for it as it is great fun. One bit of constructive feedback, and do not take it wrong please or to heart. But can we drop the one shot mhun kills during rp events as it makes people frustrated, in fact I even had a mini rage/meltdown myself which is not like me at all.

Perhaps have them break a leg, knock people out, cause blackouts and throw them from the room. Because a hairy wee Mhun one shot killing players who get ripped to ribbons everyday just feels meh. Otherwise I love you guys, as I am staring to enjoy rp again.

On a positive note I love the way they act all high and mighty towards everyone, it really changes the dynamics and forces me to emote less arrogance and more humility.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."