Tcanna island

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
edited July 2014 in Town Crier
+--------------------------- CHANGELOG ENTRY #583 ----------------------------+
| Entered by: Auresae Date: 2014/07/17 00:06:55 |
+-------------------------------- ADDITION -----------------------------------+

* Tcanna Island now exists, accessible from the Scidve Cove ferry.
* Added HELP TCANNA.
* The offshore translocator now has an exit to Tcanna, and also a new exit that leads back to the mainland.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

This place was just added and after spending upwards of an hour of mapping it (the layout is pretty crazy), I sort of felt like starting a thread about the area. First of all, I'd like to praise whoever came up with this area, because I like it a lot. For bashing, it is great. Some of the mobs give experience similar to Arbothia/Nal'jin/Spiral, but most of them matches or even exceeds Xaanhal. Just from killing mobs when mapping the place, I got somewhere in the region of 130 corpses, and I'm fairly sure I didn't get nearly all of them. While there's all different sorts of creatures in the area, all can be targeted as 'animal' which makes it less of a hassle switching targets when moving around. Almost no aggro mobs at all. There were a few downsides as well. No gold drops. Some mobs stripped three defenses in one attack. Mobs kept moving around so you'll miss some of them as they wander into rooms you've recently cleared. You have to use the ferry to get there and to get home again.

All in all, this area is pretty fantastic. It's exactly what I personally have been hoping for in terms of new bashing zones. So, well done!
OmeiIshin

Comments

• edited July 2014
    I'd like to give a shout-out to @Auresae, who did basically 99% of the work on this monster. We hope you guys like it!

Also, there are approximately 675 total mobs.

i am rapture coder
    IshinAlexinaXavinVolka
  • Also the room you forgot to give a briefdesc to >_>

Aarbrok
  • Congratulations! thank you very much!

Politics
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Guys, I can't emphasize the amount of effort @Auresae put into this. Sure, it was a learning project to get used to our systems, but the creativity, good sense, and wicked design are hers alone. All our volunteers are great, but I'm especially proud that she's come into this with such vigor. We're lucky to have her!
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    XavinIaneaRazmaelIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I am so so so happy that this got added. I popped a mint chocolate and a chalice to celebrate. I bought the pieces for a translocator so I could come visit ALL DAY EVERY DAY (can this artifact please please please be made permanent, since this is now an endgame bashing area?).

Can we maybe get a turnin for animal corpses with the butcher, like 25 gold per?

I think some of the slaves might be bugged, they are showing as godlike strength.

Also a hint: some of the mobs are flying, guys, so you might not see them all!
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Godlike strength actually just means it's as strong as a mob gets on our scale, not necessarily immortal or anything like that.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Still seems odd that a weak slave is that strong when the Nazetu aren't, I figured it was a mistake. Is that intended?
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    If you fight them, the Nazetu are stronger. Or at least they're supposed to be. God knows what I plugged into this thing.
    It must have just been one or two who had their strength super high as an oversight. I can't find them anymore.
    edited July 2014
    Sooo any chance we can get the butcher/cook to pay for animal corpses? Without any gold drops/turnins, Tcanna is not as appealing as the existing areas, and won't really help to ease the overcrowding in Tiyen/Xaanhal/Arbothia, etc.
    Ishin
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Moirean said:

Sooo any chance we can get the butcher/cook to pay for animal corpses? Without any gold drops/turnins, Tcanna is not as appealing as the existing areas, and won't really help to ease the overcrowding in Tiyen/Xaanhal/Arbothia, etc.

If the Text-P is as good or slightly better than Xaan/Tiyen (which it sounds like it sort of is???) then folks will need to weigh whether they want to absolutely maximize their bashing for EXP, or fight with others for the better gold drops in Xaan/Tiyen. If I've got a mint and a chalice, and/or the Great Hunt, I'm off to the races at this place if it has like 500 mobs in it. Forget gold...

If an area generates no gold, it isn't really a gold sink since people can make concoctions and herbs (or organs and other undead garbage) without taking gold out of the game, so I can see why you wouldn't want it to be a gold fountain but it isn't really a gold sink, if that makes sense? Anyways.
    Bashing areas aren't goldsinks. Things like the fancy 200k gold pets are goldsinks.

The xp is not that much better, really, that I'd want to avoid Tiyen/Xaanhal instead. They offer the same xp plus gold drops, so I'll still be hogging up mobs there over Tcanna.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I honestly don't mind the no gold drops. If Xaanhal/Tiyen are empty (which they often will be), Tcanna is where I'll be heading next, and I'll do it happily because of the great experience points it gives. That said, if Tcanna mobs gave out gold, I'd probably check it for mobs before heading to either Xaanhal or Tiyen.
    YarelRivas
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    The mobs in Tcanna attack with web_writhe instead of mob_writhe, which... is a bit 'meh', since the substitution artifact protects against the latter (and its whole purpose is to stop mob writhe attacks). Any chance this might get changed?
    Moirean
    Same with Spiral.