Melantha

Now that I'm getting Melantha active again in a big way, I'm curious! How am I doing?
Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
~~

~~
Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!

Comments

• AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    I have been amazingly pleased and thankful for your help in the Order - I'm not sure I could keep up the enthusiasm without you. Thank you.
    Melantha
  • My pleasure! I enjoy being a part of it. Still not used to monitoring the forums, though. I should work on that. ^^;
    ~~

~~
  • OKAY! It's my turn. I've been slow about getting around to writing this out, sorry!

Melantha is one of my absolute favorite people in Aetolia. She is reliable, creative, resilient and seems to always have an abundance of energy, enthusiasm and get-go. There is no opening to doubt her integrity as a Daru Zealot - she is one, through and through, and she has blossomed so much over time. I'm beginning to see more and more of her! Not just in her beliefs, but also within her core person. I was lucky enough to see Melantha expressing anger for the first time - she has a real feisty, strict and unforgiving streak to her when it's provoked and it adds a nice spice to an already seasoned character. She's becoming more and more dimensional, and while I've always felt Melantha was a very real, it seems like she's transitioned from moving in the background to standing on the front lines loud and proud. I'm so excited to see how she continues to grow and develop. I feel privileged to have gotten a front row seat to all of the loops and twists, and to even be a part of it. I could go on about Melantha. She's just so wonderful.

The relationship our characters share has been a treasure of mine, and has been making coming back to the game after a rough work week well worth it. When Melantha and Nola first met as opposing forces with similar beliefs, and eventually became guildmates through that, and later self-declared sisters, it was all an incredibly natural progression that still leaves me a bit wonderstruck - as if they were indeed meant to be. That strong 'sisterly bond' has only strengthened over time, and we're not getting to experience the real fruits of it in the present after so many years of feeding into it. Melantha is a real light in Nola's life, and I like to think that Nola has been a solid foundation Melantha has/can grow upon. I can now not ever imagine a Nola without having a sister Melantha, and I hope the same is true in reverse. It has been one of the best relationships my character and I have had the chance to experience. So thank you!

If you've not sought Melantha out for some awesome RPz, you are really missing out, whether ally or enemy! She's also adorable.

HavenMelantha
  • @Nola Thank you! Quite honestly, she really has been a rather flat character for the most part. I found it enjoyable to keep her simple and straightforward back before I took my extended hiatus. Now, I've kept the straightforwardness, but I've been trying to flesh her out. Glad it's been noticed!

The reverse is true, believe me. Part of who Mel is is that she allows her relationships, the real and solid ones, to become a part of her self-identity. Of course, I was still working things out in my head when they first met, but that doesn't make it any less true. There are, of course, pros and cons to this approach, but like I said, I enjoyed keeping her straightforward. Nola, with Auresae, forms her bedrock. She is the top reason why I enjoy logging in, so thank you for that. You've helped push Mel in directions I never envisioned her going, and I couldn't be happier about it. I look forward to seeing where things go in the future.
    ~~

~~
  • Gonna give this a little bump. Had the chance to interact a little bit outside the Lifer circles with this event, so I'm curious about general impressions and such.
    ~~

~~
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Melantha.. Wow! I'm kind of torn up on my personal opinion of her, though only in this sense:

The Zealotry is there, it is SO there. That overwhelming self-conviction of what she believes in and who she follows. The curious part I find, though I am sure this can be claimed with any major, 'force-of-good' kind of group around, it that she has little to zero care about doing and saying things that would make the innocent lifer go, "Wtf? Oh no, HAYL no."

I always pegged her as soft spoken, but events of late have really altered that naive impression I had. She's hardened, though from what, I would love to find out. Speaks amazingly, can hold a heated conversation without fumbling about, and I really hope to have some more of this engrossing banter they have going.

10/10 would arpee again.

Though, I think Trager needs to pass out a thesaurus to the masses, and highlight other words that can be used in place of 'Traitor'. :3

Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

Piper
  • @Trager Heh. Oh, no. No need for a thesaurus. It's his new name. Rhymes so nicely with 'Trager', don't you think? But I can understand why you might be confused. She is a Zealot, absolutely. Not of Death, Progress, or Truth. Of Fire. She is soft-spoken, yes, but she stops being nice when you cross the line. Rather like her Goddess in that respect. She is @Auresae's unabashed partisan. The way she sees it, Trager and @Aryanne crossed Fire, and the punishment fit the crime. She is willing to forgive Aryanne, though. She had been building a rapport with her. Trager, on the other hand, went ahead and first committed treason only a month or so after she vouched for him, over great protest no less. This alone would be enough to put him on her hit list. But no. Then he drew Aryanne over with him. That puts him on her 'never forgive ever' list.
    ~~

~~
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited August 2014
    We COULD call @Haven something other than Locke the Lyncher, but why would we? It's so catchy. That's how epithets are born, @Trager.

You should embrace it, as @Serrice is a fox, @Sibatti is Esry, @Haven is a Lyncher, and @Ashmer is a cuddlemuffins.

KerrynAshmerAryanne
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Trager the Traitor! I dig it. Plz2b cool honors line.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Trager said:

Trager the Traitor! I dig it. Plz2b cool honors line.

He was a Paragon of the Rhythm, and then shit hit the fan.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Trager
  • edited August 2014
    For the record, by the way, I'd really rather dial this avenue of her roleplay back. I was just going with it, but I don't like where it's going. I wasn't lying in my last post. It's just that the avenues for her wrath are supposed to be much more benign. It was never my intention to make her this kind of Zealot. I'm working on it. So to @Trager, @Rashar, and @Aryanne, really sorry.
    ~~

~~
  • I have clearly managed to miss all of Melantha being anything that would seem apology-worthy! I really like Melantha, she feels very realistic, sweet, but uncompromisingly faithful and loyal to her causes, which is awesome.

None of that requires an apology!

Nola
  • @Aryanne Thank you for the feedback! It helps a lot that she likes Aryanne, and she's tried to be accomodating. Of course, last time they talked, Mel didn't know the circumstances, so she managed to avoid the extremes she went to with Trager and Rashar. I think I even managed to shock @Nola. Mentioned you because you three are lumped together in my head about this, and I was tired. But yeah, when I stopped to actually think about things, I was like 'Wa~it a minute. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid'. Still, it was fun to explore a side to Mel that hadn't been seen before. I mourn her innocence, though. She had a 'My God, What Have I Done' moment as soon as she wasn't actively defending her position. And now I'm going to fall over into bed.
    ~~

~~
  • Don't stop playing you, man. Just because Rashar doesn't see eye to eye with Melantha - and he doesn't - doesn't mean that I as a player don't like interacting with it, and the same goes for a lot of people I'd imagine. She is pretty consistent and engaging, if maybe a little touchy. I really regretted that the only RP we seemed to have was the RP where she was basically telling Rashar he was grr bad, about Syssin or whatever else it might have been. :)

It's really kind of sad that things worked out the way they did, to be honest. I had absolutely no intention on any of the stuff that happened yesterday actually playing out like that, before waking up and hearing what happened to Trager. It is what it is, I guess. It was fun RP, even if not fun for Rashar.

The only thing I could say that might maybe be some sort of critique would be that sometimes, it's alright to have an opinion outside of what you're told to have. But then again, that's probably part of playing the zealot, and it could be that I just don't relate to it at all. I feel like if Auresae came out tomorrow and was like, 'We don't like men because they don't have boobs', Melantha would be like, 'DOWN WITH MEN! BURN THE BOOBLESS!'

Either way, great character, classy player. Much fun. You're good for the game.

MelanthaTrager
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Melantha has a solid personality and is entirely fun to play with, even if sometimes Mariena doesn't understand her. My critique isn't for how you roleplay her at all. My critique is a gentle one, for you.

You don't have to explain your roleplay or melantha's actions to anyone, boo! Just do you. You're awesome, you portray her excellently and she has depth and layers (like a cake or onion!). Don't you worry about what other people are thinking on the other end and don't apologize for what she's doing ooc all the time. There's nothing to apologize on.

Melantha
  • I am echoing what's already been says but don't ever change your character because of a concern like this! Character development should be a natural and ongoing process and while Mel might head one way, she can always head another. That's the beauty of it! So travel on.
    Melantha
  • Thanks, guys. Seriously. And @Rashar... you're probably right about that last bit. But agreed on all the rest. @Mariena, come to think of it, I remember reading pretty much exactly that somewhere, about never apologizing for a character. Broke that rule, but in my defense, I'm still being consistent with the roleplay and will continue to do so. @Nola Thank you. Quite honestly, she hasn't changed for out of character reasons. I am quite willing to let her character growth go where it wants. It's just that my reaction and hers (once conscience caught up with zeal) were equally horrified. Any backpedaling on her part makes sense in character, if only just this once. Nola had a lot to do with it. If anyone can get her to budge on something, it's her sister. So thank you.
    ~~

~~
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    Rashar said:

I feel like if Auresae came out tomorrow and was like, 'We don't like men because they don't have boobs', Melantha would be like, 'DOWN WITH MEN! BURN THE BOOBLESS!'

HMMMMMM....

TragerAshmerAryanneTenshyo
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    It's okay, @Rashar. @Slyphe will save you. You do still have that description, right?

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

AryanneTrager
  • edited January 2015
    Giving this a little bump. I'm really happy with how Mel's been developing, personally, and I'd like to hear some outside opinions. Especially now that combat training has been pushing her more into the paths of some of the Dark side players.
    ~~

~~
  • @Melantha: While Lucie looks up and admires @Nola, she has a special affinity/attachment to @Melantha.

Melantha is a truly beautiful character. She's poised, passionate and consistently played. I truly love their relationship because Lucie feels completely at home with Melantha. She's often trying to impress Nola, so it's nice to have her let loose and just be little miss chatterbox with Mel.

Mel listens to Lucie go on and on about random things often, and she always shows interest, gives great sisterly advice, and shows Lucie a lot of patience and love. She appreciates that, and so do I, because like I said on Nola's thread - you both make it so easy to let Lucie go and develop how she develops. I know she has two people making sure she heads down the right path, after all.

Ultimately, I would not worry about coming off too zealous or anything - personally, I think that zealous characters are important. It makes young characters think "wow, if that person believes that passionately in this... maybe there's something to it!" At least, that's what it did with Lucie. :)
    Melantha
  • Melantha is so cool, even though I don't interact a -lot- with her ICly. Always fun even when clashing.

Plus you're a bro(sephina) for your lesser participation.
    KendriMelantha
  • Tens is a big fan of Mel. She's easily approachable, and is relatable to a lot of things. I enjoy how she doesn't cut corners and tells it how it is, but also makes people feel good.

Melantha
  • Keep on doing what you're doing.

No, seriously this time, for reals. The feelings are so strong and intense. So much. So love.

TenshyoMelantha
  • I'd not interacted with Malentha until the other night and it was fun! Though likely Xen/Mal won't cross paths anytime soon, I think it'd be an intresting thing to see how the contrast in the players would unfold.

Just from this one-off my read on the character is that she's subtle, gracious and has a sense of humor that I appreciate.

Melantha
  • Since Melantha saved Jaymi from a super scary undead man (xD) I've had so much fun RPing with you. From the little quiet moments to big character changing bits, it's been a real fun rollercoaster and I'm hoping Mel and Jaymi get to be in each other's lives for a long time.

Melantha
  • @Jaymi Glad to hear it! I believe you can take that much as a given. I've been very much enjoying the direction that Mel's character has taken in recent weeks. It feels like it's been a very natural progression, and I'd be pleased if it seemed that way from the outside, too. Mel's had her own shell to break out of, and boy was it ever a thick one.
    ~~

~~
  • Gonna be real honest-like here... I like Melon-senpai a lot. I think she and Vyx colliding in the ways they have (er... good ways) has provided them both really neat opportunities for growth. It's a good dynamic. Alright, cool, good job.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Melantha