Exercise & Nutrition

StrungStrung Halls of Hades
I'm in the process of making some juice from beets, apples and carrots. There's an appalling amount of dirt on these beets, how dare they...

I also had a brilliant idea, I bet that I can clean the sieve on my masticating juicer in like 10 seconds if I use an electric toothbrush.
I am such an aaaalllphaaaaaarrrgh.

Comments

• I always find beets in juice make it taste a bit earthy - even if they're all peeled and washed properly before I juice them.

So I don't, anymore. Apple, carrot and a bit of ginger is a fav of mine. Also banana+papaya smoothie. (Also good with a couple of strawberries added).

Now, shut up about food and let me read my book.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I've been making juice for the morning. Half a cucumber, half a lemon, half a green apple, 1 cup of blueberries (roughly), ginger, kale, and then I run a carrot through because it cleans all the pulp out of my machine.

The one I'm working on is with sweet potato, beets, and carrot. It needs -something- to cut the sweetness of beets. I'm thinking bitter melon, kale, and lemon.
  • StrungStrung Halls of Hades
    edited June 2014
    I liked my beet juice earlier :) It could use some vegetables and ginger, though. Irruel did you scrub the tops of the beets off really well? May seem a silly question but for some reason the dirt congeals there into the skin. I would not describe my beet juice as earthy at all. I actually cut off the tops of beets entirely after scrubbing since it takes too long to get the last of the dirt off the tops.

My electric toothbrush idea was pure genius, too. My juicer's mesh has never been clean so quickly before.

I read that you can make tea from leftover fruit pulp. I ordered some empty tea bags off of amazon and will try loading them with beet pulp and cinnamon soon. Probably I'll scoop in some ginger pulp too.

Next experiment: baked eggs.
    You dont have a tea ball?
    Jensen said:

You dont have a tea ball?

Actually I used to... maybe I should go dig it up. The convenience of throwing stuff away sounds appealing though. I hate cleaning! I need a wife...
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Jensen said:

I've been making juice for the morning. Half a cucumber, half a lemon, half a green apple, 1 cup of blueberries (roughly), ginger, kale, and then I run a carrot through because it cleans all the pulp out of my machine.

The one I'm working on is with sweet potato, beets, and carrot. It needs -something- to cut the sweetness of beets. I'm thinking bitter melon, kale, and lemon.

Kale and lemon would be awesome with the beet, not sure about melon depending on what you use. Ginger might also be a neat touch, and it's fantastic for you too.

Now I need a juicer. :(

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Furtum
    Just did sweet potato, tomato, beet, kale, lemon juice
    Furtum
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Melon and cilantro. Word.
    StrungXeniaFurtum
  • commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-kale-and-how-to-eat-around-it

A light wilting recommended! Also a chance to pre-soak it in a tasty infused vinegar or something :D
    I once killed a humgii, y'know.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • Is a beet just a beetroot? We don't really call anything 'beets' in Aus, and I don't really think beetroot makes juice particularly sweet.
    They are the same, and to me it was. Ended up doing beets, sweet potato, carrots, kale, lemon tomato, and ginger. Was pretty good but still needs tweaking.
    edited June 2014
    Samp said:

commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-kale-and-how-to-eat-around-it

A light wilting recommended! Also a chance to pre-soak it in a tasty infused vinegar or something :D

Thanks for this, I knew that consuming too much raw bok choy could cause hyperthyroidism but I didn't know it applied to kale as well. It's probably possible with the over-consumption of a lot of leafy green vegetables in their raw state. This is part of why salad is better with oil dressing but perhaps there's more that can be done :)
    Samp
  • VolkaVolka Lurking behind the beakers....
    amg I need a juicer now. That...sounds so delicious. Want. All I have is a blender, so you get a lot of berry smoothie-type stuff at my house. I read a thing that you can put the lower assembly of the blender (Cap and blades and whatnot) on a mason jar and blend your stuff in the jar, which I find particularly attractive because I also hate cleaning. Has any one tried that? I was going to do it yesterday, but found I'm lacking a mason jar. :(
    I have a blender, where the container is a water bottle. I used to do kale, blueberry, mango, plain greek yogurt smoothies and add in strawberry banana whey protein
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Jensen said:

I have a blender, where the container is a water bottle. I used to do kale, blueberry, mango, plain greek yogurt smoothies and add in strawberry banana whey protein

I do strawberry greek yogurt, frozen berry medley, almond milk (lactose intolerant), tablespoon+ of peanut butter, half a banana, and a scoop of protein. It is world-changingly delicious.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Jensen
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    I need someone to make these things for me because unicorn work.
    Jensen
    I just found a ton of juice pulp bread recipes on google. I'm going to try a few out and let you guys know which is best.
    Volka