Market restrictions

SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
The current market restrictions (CDT) seem anathema to the continued growth of the game and sanity of almost all players. It seems that most people are being 'punished' for the actions of a small few. In view of this, might I suggest the following: Entirely remove the CDT on market tells. Should a person find it suitable to spam as per the original reasoning behind the CDT, their market privileges would be revoked for 48 hours. A second offence would result in a week long ban and a third, a one week shrubbing.

Discuss.
Alice

Comments

• or just wait 30 mins and market again.. why would you wanna keep talking on market if not... thats what tells are for ... as only reason youd want to double post is if say I insulted you on market so you reply from market.. etc etc etc etc
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Sheirosia
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Yeah, understandable, but it's the punishments I outlined that would come into effect if it was abused in this way. Sure, while I can appreciate this would be more work for the admin (and likely the very reason it was implemented in the first place), if the -very- few people who would do this would continue, they'd find themselves banned. Simple.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Yeah I love that market has a cooldown.
    TrigruArekaAryanneTeani
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I do have to be honest -- I'm not sure why one person NEEDS to say something more than every 30 minutes. The situation I can think of is rotating ads for different services, wanting to keep things separate.

I'm open to reducing the cooldown. Depends on how Raz feels on the topic. I don't think we'll remove it, though.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I've definitely wanted to say stuff more than the CD allows, like to modify an ad or to participate in banter - not all banter is bad and I personally think that witty banter makes the game more engaging and fun to play. I really dislike the CD and have since the day it was implemented.
    Sheirosia
    Fair enough. Honestly, it's more a case of where I have found that I am advertising different items or services in a short space of time, or at least attempted to. I guess a shortening of the time would help alleviate the problem, if only partially. If we could do that, awesome. All said and done, and despite this thread, I can wholly appreciate the reasoning behind the restriction, but like stated, it just seems more a case of 'Restrict the masses to remove the problems from a small few'. Either way, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
    Do we have the option of a poll on these forums, and if so, would the admin be open to implementing changes based on the outcome?
  • If you have more then 1 thing to say in 30 mins, find a friend to do it for you .. Not trying to be picking but reducing it completely will but a bigger pain in the rear on the Admins end monitoring it... Where im sure the Admin time is better served zapping people for real RP reasons lol... or spying on people (joke but you get point)
    @Nalor: Sure, that's an option, but hardly optimal. Every other IRE game deals with this just fine. (Granted, most in the way of insta-post refusal). Things and people are definitely far more mature here and I firmly believe there is a better option than just, 'No mtells for you'.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I'm not particularly worried about a poll's results. I'm open to the idea of reducing the cooldown. I disagree that market banter is necessarily a good thing, but that's a different story.

I'm thinking 5 minutes?
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    SheirosiaAryanne
  • But as I found out in other IRE muds most people I know turn market tells off as every 10 mins its the same ad.. so lots more pointless spam.. :/
    Going slightly off-topic here, but it definitely still applies, what happened to SPAR WHO?
    Oleis said:

I'm not particularly worried about a poll's results. I'm open to the idea of reducing the cooldown. I disagree that market banter is necessarily a good thing, but that's a different story.

I'm thinking 5 minutes?

That would be absolutely awesome and something I think a lot of us would welcome. Thanks.
  • The only trouble I've had with cooldown is the need to clarify/update an advertisement.

Like say I'm offered to sell some giftbags, and there's a whole lot of tells, and I need to tell all of them that it's been sold out. So I shout instead.

Though, to be honest, I think that's fine, and makes it more fun to sound more like a real hawker.
    Sheirosia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    We have an AD System for a reason. I'd rather we get stuff to make ADs more attractive and or easy to use than reducing/removing the market tell cooldown timer.

market One Stop Shop with all you need! Check out AD 1234543.

Pow. That's all anyone needs for multiple stuff.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    DaskalosAryanneSessizlikDemarcusTeaniAlice
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    - Announcing a FFA
    - Announcing that the FFA is about to start
    - Holding an impromptu auction
    - Changing a price on something
    - Adding in an extra item you want to sell
    - Responding to other funny comments
    - Holding a scavenger hunt
    - Looking for crafting services
    - Couching RP hooks in a "service" request (see Jasmin)
    - Advertising org events
    - Etc

There are lots of reasons to talk on market, beyond just the cycled ads. Personally, I find the cycled/automated ads really dull (we know how to check ads ffs, and how to find a health vial and it's really just dumb tbh to be advertising for shops selling basic supplies) and I love when people get into quick little bouts of banter over them. The back and forth is far more engaging and amusing and immersive than someone cycling through their ad for basic commodity x for the 10th time today. I would much rather market be limited by x tells in y minutes, versus a CD between each tell. Ie, you can send 5 tells, but you can't talk for an hour. Or you can send 2 tells, but you can't talk for 30 mins. Etc.
    Sheirosia
    Case in point right here, but honestly, I think this thread is done. Changes are clearly being made. Of course, if anybody else has anything constructive to offer, please do.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    If people could spam it every 5 minutes I'd definitely turn it off.
    DaskalosHaven
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Moirean said:

- Announcing a FFA
    - Announcing that the FFA is about to start
    - Holding an impromptu auction
    - Changing a price on something
    - Adding in an extra item you want to sell
    - Responding to other funny comments
    - Holding a scavenger hunt
    - Looking for crafting services
    - Couching RP hooks in a "service" request (see Jasmin)
    - Advertising org events
    - Etc

Most of this can be resolved by creating another channel that is world wide and can only be accessed by City leaders, Ministers and possible aides of Culture who would need to announce such things
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Haven said:

We have an AD System for a reason. I'd rather we get stuff to make ADs more attractive and or easy to use than reducing/removing the market tell cooldown timer.

market One Stop Shop with all you need! Check out AD 1234543.

Pow. That's all anyone needs for multiple stuff.

Hi, ads were recently updated to not eat spaces. That's how I did that ascii muffin.

• A small (500-1000) gold cost per market tell if on the cooldown. Gold sink and means that theoretically it costs money for advertisement. So its just like the real world!.
    AryanneTeaniPeriluna