Lore questions.

Comments

• Eleanor said:
    ANKYREANS AMIRITE
    And then they played a flute to take off into space. *toot*
    Xavin
  • There was another language before Kalsu, it was called Nei'srata or something like that. I was surprised to hear it spoken fairly extensively by Zahmekoses about a year ago. What was that language about and what ever happen to it? Is there anything anywhere in game that speaks of that language? I would love to know more about it.
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    Nei'srata is a player language made for House Nebre'seir as far as I am aware. It is the source of the 'ahi hay' business you sometimes see in shouts or housetells.
    Riluo
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Nei'srata is a constructed language created by Zahmekoses, Sarelle, and myself. I think there might have been a couple of other contributors to the language. We started working on it in er... crikey. Nebre'seir was still a clan and Zahmekoses was still Zahmekoses. 

If I remember correctly the syntax was very similar to English.

The three of us used to actually have conversations in Nei'srata on housetell just because. I think Zahmekoses player started working on the rudiments of Kalsu after Nei'srata. 

I haven't had a character in Nebre'seir in such a long time, so I don't know how widely Nei'srata is used or spoken.

"Ahi hay Nebre'seir" started a long while before Nei'srata was developed, unless I've got my timeline confused.
    MaghakDamariel
  • Serrice said:
    Apparently, from talking to the Chaos Lords, the Nazedha had their own endgame race where they got filled with Chaos essence or something crazy. Log's not accessible present.
    This is not commonplace or everyday in the same way as the other endgame races are. It was, in the case being described, a one-time incident where a Nazedha mortal, Lahkencai, dethroned a Chaos Lord in the Nazedha Chaos Plane and took its place after devouring its essence. Most Nazedha don't live long enough, or have the same opportunities, to achieve endgame like players do.
    Xavin
  • @Maghak and @Veovis thanks guys for clarifying a bit. I will find all the real old Nebre'seirs and dust them off and see if I can actually learn how the language works. Would be great fun to bring it back and make something out of it.
  • Neoma said:
    @Maghak and @Veovis thanks guys for clarifying a bit. I will find all the real old Nebre'seirs and dust them off and see if I can actually learn how the language works. Would be great fun to bring it back and make something out of it.
    I wanted to add that since I posted  the above I have found a statement made by  Qeddwyn and I quote," This language originated with Yrtez and how it got into House Nebre'seirs' possession is unknown to me other than they simply found it hidden away.This ancient language is a part of Spirean history and should be used with respect when spoken. "  Sooo the plot thickens, at least I have also a small repertoire of Nei'srata words to work with now.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Silly question for curiosity's sake. But whenever a big bad comes aknockin' that's not Cthulhu... why don't the gods interfere as much and just smite them? They seem to have no qualms or problems zapping the player characters for things that are usually "minor" in comparison to some of the deeds NPCs pull.

I imagine it's just a "for the sake of the story and player involvement/enjoyment" kind of deal (like how at the movies the bad guys who are supposed to be awesome usually miss killing the hero or something) but I was wondering if there was anything else or if its something you guys think about. Or maybe there is some IC/Lore about this?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    The current big bag guy has a Demon Blade that can unicorns a God up.
    VeovisOmei
    Arbre said:
    The current big bag guy has a Demon Blade that can unicorns a God up.
    I wasn't referring to the current event. I meant in general. :-P
    havenbanner2
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    While the 'plot armour' is often big amongst NPCs, there's many reasons why Gods wouldn't interfere. Here's a few common ones:

* They just don't care.
    * They'd rather mortals solve their own problems with their own strength.
    * Other conflicting divines have an interest. No one wants mutually assured destruction.

It's worth noting that Damariel did actually show up to confront Juxa.
    HavenXavinIosyneDamariel
  • When we had that Shadow Door bit years ago, Arion was there slashing away at the shadow beings that came out along with the players, and I think even helped push the door. When the Spireans (mistakenly thinking it had to do with Severn) showed up to interfere and open the door, I think he even fought off several of them with us.

That was like..one of the funnest events I remember, and I wasn't even an Arionite. :)
    Rivas
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Everything has to do with Severn. /artifice

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    Emelle
  • edited February 2014
    In the ongoing Dendara-Corruption-Abberation-Fight event, Haern actually took an active role and tried to shelter Duiran from it as much as he could because of the scope of the big bads, until said big bads beat the crap out of him enough that the council was like 'hay, let us help you dork'. So I feel like it's really a matter of the event at hand and the scope of the event.

• Ya'll gonna get rekt.
    IosyneXavinDraimanDamarielAarbrok
  • The Divine story arcs are more or less revolved around their own personal levels of power and influence over the realm. Most (not all) Gods truly believe that Their way is the "right" way, which creates for interesting storytelling on all sides. Many of the Gods sit back and watch as a form of risk vs reward considerations. Does it benefit Them to interfere? Is it even possible for Them to? Even though the Divine are Immortal, they are still at risk of being harmed, or even destroyed (see: Omei/Maghak teaming up to kill Iosyne, Lleis being torn apart at the essence level to save Dendara).

In the current story arc, there are Gods involved, but the situation is precarious even for Them. The Demon Blade, without spoiling anything, is a very powerful weapon - and even though Damariel is one of the most powerful Gods in Aetolia, He had to take a step back when Iosyne sided with Juxa, as the combination would have been too much to risk.
  • I understand where you're coming from with all that but it is curious. The divine can snuff out mortal life with a thought via zap. In this situation why wouldn't Damariel or some other god who is so inclined simply do away with Juxa from a distance like that?

• Xavin said:
    I understand where you're coming from with all that but it is curious. The divine can snuff out mortal life with a thought via zap. In this situation why wouldn't Damariel or some other god who is so inclined simply do away with Juxa from a distance like that?
    Juxa's got some serious strength behind her. Iosyne's just posin' and twerking. Nevermind her.
  • But I want answers!

• Then you had best wait for the event to unfold in-game.
    OmeiPeriluna
    How does age work exactly in Aetolia across all the races? I imagine it's not like real life where humans are expected to become frail and what have you after a certain point if they haven't reached endgame.
    havenbanner2
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    5.15 Aging in Aetolia
    Although your character's age will increase by one year every Aetolian year,
    this is largely just a method by which you may judge how long ago a character
    was born. Age has no negative effects whatsoever, either on your character's
    health or appearance. Just another example of why life in Aetolia is better
    than so-called "real life"!
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Sneak, our youngest Cabalist, was once asked why she's 16. She commented that she was under the impression that people would just stop when they thought they'd done enough aging, and 16 years was fine for her thanks.

I play Elea as looking mid-40s because that's about when she figured out you could be efficient with your essence and stop the effects of aging.

But most people just kind of are an age and that's that!

AishiaAarbrok
  • edited February 2014
    Irru is around mid-late 60s, and hates it. He doesn't understand why his form didn't change when he became Yeleni, nor why he aged past the 33ish he was for most of his life.

The reason begins oocly - I had to explain why he was strong enough to hold his own in a fight with anyone else in the game one day, and then couldn't fight for shit six months later after I'd been away for a while. I refuse to play a character that looks strong, but can't back it up.

There has been quite a lot of minor rp with that over the years, trying to figure out why it happened and what he can do to fix it. Also regarding the endgame races and how each (for example) yeleni can look so drastically different, while Irru is stuck as a man who has withered significantly. Relatively recently, for example, he tried to force the Yeleni form to change through strength of will, with mixed results (he grew one wing, which is deformed and out of his control.)

The general conclusion that I've gone with, both from myself and other player-characters, is that each Aetolian looks the way they see themselves, within the confines of their race of course. So the aging happened because Irru felt like an old man in his head, and the seeming lack of ascendance to a true Yeleni form is because even as a Yeleni, he feels like an old human inside, so that is the form his Yeleni body took.

Eventually, as my current involvement in the game increases and I get more competent at it again, this RP arc will complete and I'll be able to, finally, finish writing a Yeleni description for him.

Which brings me to my question for the lore thread:

Is this reasonable within Aetolia, or have I been rping contrary to how races and aging in Aetolia actually works?
    DraimanArekaArbre
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I think that's totally fine, bodies tend to reflect what you feel within. Areka's in her late 40s, physically, and has started to go gray, though Manreka (Arek, since Trollish a makes feminine), is a bit younger (or maybe she just feels younger/more boisterous so it shows that much). 
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Aarbrok stopped aging when he became undead so he is in his mid twenties he became reliving after gaining endgame and has went through various influences and evolutions but he's a real sickly mid to late twenties and will likely never age beyond that.

When he was vampire he was consistently Masquerading so that he looked more intimidating, or was in Earthenform, because his body is hardly something to be like, DAMN! about.  Since then he has came to terms and wears his scars well.  Mostly self inflicted.

I always have figured might based on bodily composition. I always get irritated at super ripped novices with numerous battlescars.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Don't discount their struggles, @Aarbrok.  Those squirrels will unicorns you up.
    AarbrokKerrynErzsebet
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Before becoming Tekal and  Idreth Veovis looked like he was in his early 20's, which is when he was Embraced. I literally didn't change his description (except to fix a typo) from er whenever Aetolia opened to until he became a Tekal. His masquerade description is still his original description. 
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Lin's always looked vaguely like a filled-out woman with a teenager's face. I guess she's frozen at 19 or something?
  • Neoma said:
    @Maghak and @Veovis thanks guys for clarifying a bit. I will find all the real old Nebre'seirs and dust them off and see if I can actually learn how the language works. Would be great fun to bring it back and make something out of it.
    @Neoma

I think I saw @Sarelle online the other day. Of the handful of us involved with Nei'srata's early development she knows the language best, or at least she did. Her personal dictionary (which wasn't in game) is the most complete. I don't know how many of the truly dusty Nebre'seir are still active or in the house (a lot of us got thrown out by newbies a number of years ago), or how many of them would be able to speak the language.