Emperor Ezalor D'baen

A thunder of drums and triumphant chanting splits the sky above Bloodloch, as
the city celebrates the ascent of Emperor Ezalor D'baen.

SolariaArekaDaganIosyneEzalorPiperTeaniOmeiAarbrokIlyonDamarielValingar

Comments

• Congrats. Well deserved
    1) Enorian declares war on Bloodloch, because Ellenia said Dato was a smelly butt face.
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Cool beans, man, cool beans. Although, I think it would be brilliant if we could come up with another title for direct progeny of Abhorash aside from Emperor. Sadly, I don't have any cool ideas. 
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Congrats :P

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• Veovis said:
    Cool beans, man, cool beans. Although, I think it would be brilliant if we could come up with another title for direct progeny of Abhorash aside from Emperor. Sadly, I don't have any cool ideas. 
    you would think it would be opposite…Emperor is higher than King in most things right?

1) Enorian declares war on Bloodloch, because Ellenia said Dato was a smelly butt face.
  • Apples and oranges. A king is the monarch of a kingdom, appointed by religion/winning a war/being da biggest n' da strongest/etc. Entirely different type of ruler.

The hierarchy at the highest levels of the Dominion go Primus --> Emperor/Empress --> Prince(ss) --> Grand Duke --> etc.

i am rapture coder
  • Infin said:
    Veovis said:
    you would think it would be opposite…Emperor is higher than King in most things right?

In theory and Emperor is a higher ruler than a king, at least in real life, but there are so many Emperors among Aetolia's vampires from when we all got promoted. Anyway, I don't want to de-rail Ezalor's thread. By all accounts he has definitely earned it.
  • edited February 2014
    Veovis said:
    Infin said:
    Veovis said:

In theory and Emperor is a higher ruler than a king, at least in real life, but there are so many Emperors among Aetolia's vampires from when we all got promoted. Anyway, I don't want to de-rail Ezalor's thread. By all accounts he has definitely earned it.
    When the old bump happened, the only people who would be considered Emperors would be those who were Princes or Princesses. It's no secret that a great many players did not do their homework regarding their altered blood ranks.

i am rapture coder
  • Yes--but before Belladonna cured, she was Queen, Abh was Emperor etc, and then he rose, canonically for a long time, to be 'King' while his progeny were Emperor/Empress, which always seemed backwards to me as well. The Primus thing without the King title, is a more recent thing.

In any case. 'grats and all that. Ezalor's definitely earned the shiny title.
    imageimage
  • Veovis said:
    Little Dingus.
    Omei
  • More like Tinyclaws, amirite. 
    DraimanHaernIlyonEzalor
  • Princess Tinyfeet.
  • Princess Teacup? 
    Omei said:
    Veovis said:
    Infin said:
    Veovis said:

When the old bump happened, the only people who would be considered Emperors would be those who were Princes or Princesses. It's no secret that a great many players did not do their homework regarding their altered blood ranks.
    I think there has probably been some confusion with some people being cured as well. I know there's at least one or two Nebre'seir Princes and Princesses who were definitely only Grand Dukes after Abhorash assumed Belladonna's place. 

As far as I know, there should only be six Emperors. 
  • Haern said:
    Veovis said:
    Little Dingus.
    I double dog dare you to change his title in game. 
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Erzsebet said:
    Yes--but before Belladonna cured, she was Queen, Abh was Emperor etc, and then he rose, canonically for a long time, to be 'King' while his progeny were Emperor/Empress, which always seemed backwards to me as well. The Primus thing without the King title, is a more recent thing.

In any case. 'grats and all that. Ezalor's definitely earned the shiny title.
    I always thought Abhorash's position as Emperor came from his rule of Bloodloch and his founding/nominal headship of the Consanguine Empire/Imperium. 

Can a mod maybe split these posts off so Ezalor can bask in the glory of being Abhorash's newest Little Dingus Princess Tinyfeet? 
  • Unless I am wrong, which I could be because I was a 5 foot tall twelve year old when it happened, but I believe his title was still Keeper back then for Bloodloch.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Keeper was from Bloodloch. Emperor was his peerage rank.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Omei said:
    Apples and oranges. A king is the monarch of a kingdom, appointed by religion/winning a war/being da biggest n' da strongest/etc. Entirely different type of ruler.

The hierarchy at the highest levels of the Dominion go Primus --> Emperor/Empress --> Prince(ss) --> Grand Duke --> etc.
    It's not really apples and oranges. Both are hierachal titles used by nobility, emperor being higher on the ladder than king. For example, the British monarch assumed the title 'Emperor' after the incorporation of India into the empire. Peter the Great of Russia also became an emperor. So, basically, it's more like apples and shinier apples.

^_^
    Periluna
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Alexina said:

It's not really apples and oranges. Both are hierachal titles used by nobility, emperor being higher on the ladder than king. For example, the British monarch assumed the title 'Emperor' after the incorporation of India into the empire. Peter the Great of Russia also became an emperor. So, basically, it's more like apples and shinier apples.

^_^
    An Emperor rules an Empire or another kind of imperial demesne. In the real world, both the Emperor of All the Russias and the Holy Roman Emperor took the title to evoke a link to the roman Empire; it was more or less state-sponsored propaganda. The Emperor of Japan is called an Emperor because, well, language issues. 

In the order of precedence an Emperor comes before a King. 

I have no idea how or why we started using Emperor in Aetolia or if there are other actual empires aside from Bloodloch under Abhorash and Djeir, but the current Consanguine Emperors don't rule empires by any stretch of the imagination. It's all fluff. :)

Anyway... can't you Purple People Eaters move these off topic posts to a new thread so we can get back to inflating Ezalor's ego?
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    The legitimacy of the Emperor titles (Russia's, Britain's, etc) does not really change the fact that they were recognized as emperors in the hierarchy of nobles (unlike the Emperor of all of Spain in the Middle Ages). I mean, you had the Ottoman Empire that was not really linked to the Roman empire at all (apart from the whole Sultan of Rum thing), and even their regent's title has been translated into 'Emperor'. The Holy Roman Emperors were actually crowned emperor by the Pope himself, so I'd say that was definitely more tangible than evoking a link to the Roman/Byzantium empire.

But yeah, I always thought Consanguine in their inception was considered the royalty of Bloodloch/Undeath, and were therefor given aristocratic titles. There's no real nobility, feudalism, or monarchies in Aetolia at all. Which is a shame because I sort of like the dynastic approach in games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis. I guess it wouldn't work very well in a RPG setting like this.
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    @Alexina Right, there aren't really too many hard and fast rules for the use of Emperor versus the use of King. The Western empires I mentioned used the title to evoke connections to Rome, whereas foreign Emperors like Japan and the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire were more or less called Emperor in English because it was the easiest way to accord them honor and precedence in English.

But yeah, I was always under the impression that the Consanguine nobility arose out of Bloodloch being the city of the Undead (at the time that meant vampires, none of those silly mummies) and Abhorash's stated goal to create an undead empire on Sapience. 

If I remember correctly we called Abhorash Keeper or Emperor back in the early days, King after he replaced Belladonna, and Primus when we got on a Latin kick.

In real life it happened because the original players of the princes and Abhorash more or less used  White Wolf for a lot of source material (the early Legacies were almost a direct copy/paste).
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    From what I've followed, Abhorash was given the title of emperor because he was founding a consanguine empire, essentially. The title of queen was taken by Belladona, presumably because the mob was carried over from Achaea and they just went with that. Sarita uses the philosophy that they (Belladona and Abhorash) can use whatever titles they want because the usual rules governing Consanguine society don't apply to them.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Not to keep on derailing this thread, but Primus had been used for Ab for a long time. I remember running Neb, and even before I ran Neb, and we always referred to him as the "Primus". I think Zahm might have started that, but I can't remember.

Now, getting back to the real topic at hand, grats to @Ezalor. Couldn't have come to someone more deserving. Let's get back to stroking his ego, and take the other stuff to a different thread.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    And to go back on topic!

Well done, @Ezalor! Now I'm looking forward to that next RP session with you even more! :D

• Goooo Emperor Princess Tinyfeet!
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    That's Tinyclaws to you, tyvm.
  • Technically an emperor would be above the title of a king. An emperor would rule an empire, which would compose several kingdoms. 
  • Ezalor said:
    That's Tinyclaws to you, tyvm.
    What you and Iosyne do with your feet is, quite frankly, none of my business. 
    PiperSaritaIosyne
  • Yay congrats to Emperor Tinyclaws! This may or may not have affected me in some way. >.>

Now there's an egregiously large amount of D'baen Princes and Princesses. Let the family offing begin!
  • Not anymore!!!

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    It's a bit long, but there's a log of the ball held in Ezalor's honor by Abhorash up in the RP logs section.