Mafia: The Midnight Age

edited December 2012 in OOC Chat
The Rules

-Each round is divided into one day and one night.
-During the day, everyone can talk and discuss among themselves.
-You may also vote for one person to lynch. When a majority is reached and I see that a majority has been reached, I will post declaring that person's death.
-A successful lynching ends the day phase of the round.
-During the night, you may talk, but not vote for a lynching.
-The night phase is when the Syssin will vote on one person to snipe. Other special roles also act during this time.
-You have a period of twenty-four hours from the end of the day round to vote or use your special powers. At the end of this period, the next round will begin in the day phase.
-Please mark lynch votes in bold and red, as such: VOTE: Hitler
-You may send me PMs, and I will post messages anonymously as soon as I see them and/or get around to it.
-You may talk to other players, through whatever means you like. It's not like I can stop you.

The Roles

Lifer- all players, unless otherwise specified, are Lifers. This role has no special powers whatsoever; they win if they manage to eliminate all the Syssin.

Monk- an unspecified amount of Lifers will be designated as Monks. Monks will have the power to read someone's mind during the night round, which will reveal whether or not they're Syssin. They win with the Lifers.

Priest- the Priest (there can be only one) will have the sole power of healing, with which they can protect someone during the night round. If the Syssin target the protected individual during the night round, the Priest will intervene and save their life. The Priest may also choose to protect themselves. They win with the Lifers.

Syssin- a subset of players will be designated as the Syssin. They vote amongst themselves, during the night phase, to eliminate a Lifer. They win if they kill the Lifers and their allies, or achieve a de facto win if they comprise a majority of the surviving players.

Summary

Once the game begins, a summary of the round-by-round action will be kept and posted at the end of each round phase, for ease of reference. This will include lynch votes cast, people that die, and changes of round. They will all be timestamped. Example entry:

[10:21 AM PST]: Obscurity voted to lynch Hitler.

Game Status

Not yet open. Please make all other posts in the signup thread.
OrisaeValenaeRaeche

Comments

• Additional Role Added

Deep-Cover Agent- An unspecified amount of the Syssin will show up as being Lifers if their minds are read by a Monk. This role has been added in order to combat the extra networking opportunities available to the uninformed majority as a result of the game being hosted on a forum.
  • ENORIAN NEWS #3.14
    Date: 12/10/2012 at 7:33
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Death notice.

Sir Timothy has been shot and killed by anonymous snipers. The City is under internal attack by a band of Syndicate Agents!

---

You and the other citizens of the Beacon of Light gather at the Entrance to the Medina, where Sir Timothy lies dead and bleeding on the ground. After he's been taken away for burial, the City gates are closed and monolith sigils are laid down; no one can enter or exit the City until things are back to normal.

There's only one problem.

For things to get back to normal, you need to find the murderers first, and put them to justice-

Haven Locke style.

Game Status

The game is OPEN. Expect PMs regarding your roles shortly.

Round One - Day Phase
    -There are 18 surviving players.
    -There are 3 surviving Syssin.
    HavenAldricOrisaeLiancaAmaraArbre
  • So... what does it mean if you tell me I'm syssin. I still have to vote during the day, right?
  • Raeche said:
    So... what does it mean if you tell me I'm syssin. I still have to vote during the day, right?
    You do.

And thanks for making the first day round easy!

Vote: Raeche
  • Could we get a list of participants posted somewhere?

• Oh me oh my.
  • Players:

Aldric
    Malak
    Amara
    Orisae
    Ilyon
    Raeche
    Haven
    Rho
    Kiyotan
    Aarbrok
    Lianca
    Aren
    Esper
    Tahl
    ArTreebre
    Periluna
    Alexina
    Valenae

Got 'cho back Elanth.

Q: Are we allowed to vote nolynch for the first round, or no? That seems to be the precedent for first rounds; either that or a random vote.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I don't like nolynch because someone made a very compelling argument in the previous rounds that this benefits the mafia. Hence, I will vote for Raeche.
  • Raeche said:
    So... what does it mean if you tell me I'm syssin. I still have to vote during the day, right?
    VOTE: RAECHE 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I'm not a fan of nolynch because as someone stated in past games, it brings the Lifer chance of nabbing a Syssin to absolutely 0%. Luckily, a lovely target has presented herself so we don't need to rely on random and potentially kill a good guy.

Vote: Raeche
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Vote: Raeche

It sucks you kinda made such a big goof the first round since you said you've never played before, but I'm sure there will be at least another game after this to take part in.

Next time don't reveal your role :(
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • I agree, this does feel kind of like taking advantage of someone's newbish-ness, but on the other hand (if it is even true) it does prevent us from offing a potential good guy at random. And as such:

VOTE: Raeche
    While we're ushering Raeche to the gallows, maybe we should start discussing tactics to get the rest of the Syssin to get a bit of a head start for Round 2? It's in our best interest to get organized as quickly as possible and currently our best hand is: choose a random.

Question about the Priest role: is the person they choose to protect during the night round shut down as if they were jailed? For instance, and this is hypothetical, if the Priest and one of the Monks hook up could the monk still work his or her mojo to investigate someone?

havenbanner2
  • From the way I read it, the priest isn't a roleblocker, they just protect their target from dying.

I might be wrong but I imagine this means that whoever is protected can still carry out their night role.
  • I have this odd feeling that Raeche may be up to something. I just can't figure out what it is. So until then -

• edited December 2012

I'm all about going along with the crowd.mASS PANIC IS A SCARY CREATURE!

• edited December 2012
    First off, here is a list of players (my version):

Aldric
    Malak
    Amara
    Orisae
    Ilyon
    Raeche
    Haven
    Rho
    Kiyotan
    Aarbrok
    Lianca
    Aren
    Esper
    Tahl
    Arbre
    Periluna
    Alexina
    Valenae

Lynching Rules

While you can opt to abstain from lynching, it does not make very good sense for you to do so, since it helps the Syssin. You have a 1/6 chance of killing a Syssin via random lynch; decent odds, all things considered.

All roles may vote to lynch during the day; only bastard games feature no-lynch-vote roles.

Rules Clarification

The Priest is not a roleblocker. They can only protect someone from being killed during the night round. The person they're protecting can still use whatever special powers they have as per usual.

Current Vote Tally

[5:27 AM PST]: Malak voted to lynch Raeche.
    [10:26 AM PST]: Alexina voted to lynch Raeche.
    [11:17 AM PST]: Haven voted to lynch Raeche.
    [11:17 AM PST]: Aldric voted to lynch Raeche.
    [11:45 AM PST]: Tahl voted to lynch Raeche.
    [12:09 PM PST]: Ilyon voted to lynch Raeche.
    [12:11 PM PST]: Orisae voted to lynch Raeche.

You require a 10 vote majority to successfully lynch someone.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Well, I feel guilty, but I'll be vote eight.

VOTE: Raeche.
  • VOTE: Raeche

Never played this before. Don't get it yet. Would rather walk off a cliff in a group than alone.

mob rule and all that

• As the panic sets into the thus far oblivious seeming little girl (let's assume this happened in 358MA), suddenly she cries, "No, please, no! I didn't mean what I said! It was purely hypothetical!" - for she had learnt that word just that day from school. Frightened, eyes wide, she backs into an alley, holding up a teddy bear to ward herself against the oncoming mob.

Hey, we expect to play multiple rounds of this, right?
    Amara
  • Oh gods, I hate children. My vote stays.
    ElanthAngwe
  • ^ sssssssyssin!
  • Raeche said:
    Hey, we expect to play multiple rounds of this, right?
    I assume there will probably be at least one more game after this. Mafia games tend to go by the dozen, then die off for a while.
    Raeche
    This might sound bad for me but after some thinking I gotta ask: should we save Raeche for later? I mean, this freebie round is great and all but we can kill her at any time with her identity revealed and we're essentially delaying Round 1 to Round 2 by choosing to off her now since killing her doesn't actually affect whether or not the Syssin kill during the night round.

Usually in our Mafia games, we choose a random target to begin with in Round 1 then day Rounds 2 & 3 are spent analyzing the various trains that formed. If we off her now, we push that to Rounds 3 & 4 instead (in the mean time, we're dying at night).

The earlier we have more information to analyze the better off we'll be because we'll become organized.
    Haven said:

havenbanner2
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I agree with Haven.  Should leave her alone, we can attack her later when we run out of leads.  At least let her play a few rounds of her first game.

VOTE: Raeche Haven
  • I do agree with the idea of letting her play some to get the hang of how things go since she obviously hasn't played before. Yet, unless some people start un-voting I think we've already got the majority votes to kill her off.
  • The girl senses a change in the crowd, as a lone voice of dissent slowly gains support. She lowers her teddy bear, pulling it to her chest and whispers in its floppy ear, "We might catch the Syssin yet, Mr. Snuggles. We might.."
    Arbre said:
    I agree with Haven.  Should leave her alone, we can attack her later when we run out of leads.  At least let her play a few rounds of her first game.

VOTE: Raeche Haven

...not what I had in mind but okay. Random dice roller says my new vote is:

Vote: Raeche Aarbrok
    havenbanner2