Names

24

Comments

  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Member, Guildmaster Posts: 1,999 mod
    I'm pagan, and an earth element.  BACK IN THE DAY, I was a bit obsessed with this fact, and my friend who I originally started playing with (not @Roux, I forced her in later) gave me random french words until I found one I liked.  For the longest time I pronounced if ARE BREE (like the cheese?) because I'm classless, but Skyping with people like @Xavin and co changed me to saying ARE BRAY, which I think is closer to what it is.  For the like one person that doesn't know, Arbre is French for Tree, hence all of the tree jokes at me.

    Aquila I got when Roux and I bloodlined with Qualnia, who has since been purged.  It's Latin for Eagle, which I didn't know at the time, and still pronounce it horribly incorrectly.  I believe it's supposed to be AHHH QUILL UH, but I say UH KEY LUH.

    Lesson of the day: Arbre sucks at foreign languages.
    Aryanne
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    It -sounds- like an angry russian demanding to know the location of his witch, really.

    Or am I the only one who shouts your name in a russian accent while threatening whoever happens to be standing nearby?

    Oh, just me?
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Arbre
  • JaslineJasline Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly original when it comes to names. Jasline is the name of my favorite Shadow Run character that I play in table top games. And I thought it would be fun to play a similar-ish character in a MUD. Hence why she started out in Spinesreach. Yet, from day one this character had her own personality way different from the Shadow Run one which has been fun.
    Aryanne
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia Somewhere in AtticaMember Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I used to have an interest in ancient civilizations, and Phoenicia was an ancient civilization based in the Mediterranean. I thought it sounded cool for a name, so I just changed one of the I's to an E. Funnily enough, the Phoenicians were prosperous because of their extensive trade, particularly Tyrian purple dye. Kind of funny how that works out; I never went in intending to make Phoe a merchant.
  • OmeiOmei Member, Immortal Posts: 751 Immortal
    Arbre said:
    I'm pagan, and an earth element.  BACK IN THE DAY, I was a bit obsessed with this fact, and my friend who I originally started playing with (not @Roux, I forced her in later) gave me random french words until I found one I liked.  For the longest time I pronounced if ARE BREE (like the cheese?) because I'm classless, but Skyping with people like @Xavin and co changed me to saying ARE BRAY, which I think is closer to what it is.  For the like one person that doesn't know, Arbre is French for Tree, hence all of the tree jokes at me.

    Aquila I got when Roux and I bloodlined with Qualnia, who has since been purged.  It's Latin for Eagle, which I didn't know at the time, and still pronounce it horribly incorrectly.  I believe it's supposed to be AHHH QUILL UH, but I say UH KEY LUH.

    Lesson of the day: Arbre sucks at foreign languages.
    Arr-bray is close. If we wanted to get technical it should be arr[bruh], where [bruh] is pronounced quickly, just rolling off the tongue.
    image

    i am rapture coder
    Aryanne
  • SlypheSlyphe Member Posts: 617 Immortal
    Evidently I'm classless too, I've always pronounced @Arbre as ARE-BREE.

    ...Always the BREE in all the changes like wolfbre, lovebre, etc.

    HavenKatszia
  • MireiaMireia Member, Guildmaster Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Click some buttons, hit generate, bam. Names GALORE.

    http://www.behindthename.com/random/
    Aryanne
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VAMember Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you even lift, (Ar)brah?
    image
  • JaslineJasline Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea Arbre was a French word and I took French in college. I've always pronounced it ARE-BER. Like how theater and theatre are pronounced the same.
    AryanneSarita
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Member, Guildmaster Posts: 1,999 mod
    Slyphe said:
    Evidently I'm classless too, I've always pronounced @Arbre as ARE-BREE.

    ...Always the BREE in all the changes like wolfbre, lovebre, etc.
    I do the same with the latter, @Slyphe.
  • AryanneAryanne Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    I know if "should" be "are-bruh/er" from my days in high school french class, but I always pronounce it "Are-Bray" cause, screw you pronunciation, I don't wanna.

    So, it's "Wolf-bray" and "Love-Bray" and "Mom-Bray" when I say them.

    Emelle
  • RivasRivas Member Posts: 538 mod
    And, unless my Latin has failed me (which it hasn't, cause I'm effing brilliant), you're actually pronouncing "Aquila" properly. UH-KEE-LUH (with emphasis on the KEE) is accurate for the Latin pronunciation.


    image


    -----------------------------------------------------------------

    (The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

    Emelle
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Member, Guildmaster Posts: 1,999 mod
    I feel like a baws now.
  • RouxRoux Member Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    Bawsbre Aquila
    ArbrePeriluna
  • MeyvitchMeyvitch Member Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭

    Were you talking to me, Daingean?? Arbor interrupted. ^_^


    If I'd known I was going to slip up a couple times and call myself Meybitch, I would have picked a name with different sil-ah-bulls.

    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Arbre
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Member, Guildmaster Posts: 1,999 mod
    Be cool if @Razmael and @Oleis pipped in with their reasons.
    Aryanne
  • TeaniTeani Evening Sky SwedenMember Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Arbre: This is how I've always pronounced it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s016VY6SSQSn



  • IrruelIrruel Member Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd decided, before Aetolia was opened, that my next character name anywhere was going to start with an 'I'. I don't recall why.

    When Aetolia was here and I suddenly needed to come up with an 'I' name, I struggled. It was too soon, damnit.

    So I took Irriqui from the Song of Ice and Fire books, and 'Ruel' from... somewhere else. I don't remember where but it was probably a book. Mashed them together.

    The "I" is meant to be pronounced in the short way, as in 'pit, sit, mitten".

    It wasn't until years later that someone, I think from that Spinesreach-born ooc clan (Kikon, Atrapoema, some jerk like that >.>), pointed out how it sounds if you pronounce the "I" as "Eye".

    I've been vaguely disappointed with the name ever since.
    EmelleAryanneKatszia
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Member, Guildmaster Posts: 1,999 mod
    I've always say Ear-ruel.  Something like that.  @Irruel
    AryanneSlyphe
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen CanadaMember Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Ring to Irruel them all.
    image
    ArbrePeriluna
  • RivasRivas Member Posts: 538 mod
    Who rules? Irruel.


    image


    -----------------------------------------------------------------

    (The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

    AryanneEzalor
  • MarienaMariena By a lake. Member, Guildmaster Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started Mariena in highschool. Marie is my middle name. I added 'na' to the end of it. 

    I say it Mari-ena, sometimes I say it Mari-ona and then Arbre makes fun of me because those letters are not in Mari's name.


  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer LifeMember Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irruel said:
    I'd decided, before Aetolia was opened, that my next character name anywhere was going to start with an 'I'. I don't recall why.

    When Aetolia was here and I suddenly needed to come up with an 'I' name, I struggled. It was too soon, damnit.

    So I took Irriqui from the Song of Ice and Fire books, and 'Ruel' from... somewhere else. I don't remember where but it was probably a book. Mashed them together.

    The "I" is meant to be pronounced in the short way, as in 'pit, sit, mitten".

    It wasn't until years later that someone, I think from that Spinesreach-born ooc clan (Kikon, Atrapoema, some jerk like that >.>), pointed out how it sounds if you pronounce the "I" as "Eye".

    I've been vaguely disappointed with the name ever since.
    If it makes you feel any better, I've been pronouncing it ih-roo-ehl from the beginning, with the short 'i' sound. Not that I say it out loud, 'cause y'know. That'd be weird.

    the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

    open hand or closed fist would be fine

    blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

    TeaniEmelleArbre
  • RouxRoux Member Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    So, how many people have decided that my name is somehow pronounced 'Rocks'
    Yes, I've heard this. No, this is not correct. NO I AM NOT MALE.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    @Irruel - It never occurred to me to pronounce it improperly - I've always assumed it was pronounced as you intended, and the other manner feels confusing to my tongue.

    @Roux - Not so secret, but.. I have 'Roux' subbed in my system to 'Rowboat'. But, I would easily continue a conversation about Roux if someone were to call her Rocks without missing a beat, as she does indeed do so.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • TozToz Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always pronounced it 'rewks', @Roux
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I'll still never forget the first time I saw Toz throwing hammers."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I freaked out and thought they had somehow managed to pull me into them."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "So I tumbled away from my team and into theirs."


  • IrruelIrruel Member Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭
    In some parts of the world, rocks is pronounced rewks. SO.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    @Roux I always thought it was pronounced Row with a silent X
    image
    Haven
  • KaleighKaleigh The InnMember Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    @Roux Had always thought it's pronounced as "roo", but that could just be the french in me speaking.. 

    As for Kale's darling name, I'd like to give credit to @Osmond and @Haydyn for their ingenious choice. Thanks guys <3 


    SetneEmelleKatszia
Sign In or Register to comment.